Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Dialarc-hf help please.

I just bought a dialarc-hf for cheap. Supposedly came from a school and nothing wrong with it. I already had a cooler and water cooled torch so I purchased a foot pedal and hooked it all up. Problem is the welder turns on fan runs and when both switches are put in the remote position the hf makes noise, But i cannot get any kind of arc and the solenoids for the cooler and gas do not open. I opened machine when i brought it home and blew it out, checked to make sure it was set for my voltage and wired a new power cord to it. I down loaded the manual for the welder and the remote pedal. the pedal looks to be in almost new condition and is wired correctly and i believe i tested the ohm's correctly. I am unfortunately not to savvy with electronics but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shouldn't have any HF activation just because the machine is set to remote.

Got a unit SN? What foot pedal control do you have?
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Shouldn't have any HF activation just because the machine is set to remote.

Got a unit SN? What foot pedal control do you have?

hk225144 and rfc23a i belive the welder is a 1979. I was just out there and noticed that when i turn it on and its in remote on both sides it is making a crackling sound but will quite down and sound like a hum and then crackle again a bit later. I just figured this is the hf. I have been using a miller econotwin with an old sears hf unit and when you turn it on it sounds like bacon cooking.

If you need the manual to review you can download it here:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o315e_mil.pdf
    Your machine schematic is the one in the main manual and not the one shown in the errata based on its SN.

The Dialarc HF uses a magnetic amplifier for weld output range control and my guess is that's where the sound is coming from or from its circuits.

See if you can isolate where the sound is coming from and basic things to check are:
    1) All circuit connections
    2) Output contactor (W) contacts
    3) Low/Med/Hi range selector switch contacts
    4) Output rectifier diodes and connections

To confirm HF output, check for spark at the HF points (G) with the CONTACTOR and AMPERAGE controls set to STANDARD and the HF control set to CONTINUOUS or START.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

[QUOTE=duaneb55;287703]If you need the manual to review you can download it here:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o315e_mil.pdf
    Your machine schematic is the one in the main manual and not the one shown in the errata based on its SN.

The Dialarc HF uses a magnetic amplifier for weld output range control and my guess is that's where the sound is coming from or from its circuits.

See if you can isolate where the sound is coming from and basic things to check are:
    1) All circuit connections
    2) Output contactor (W) contacts
    3) Low/Med/Hi range selector switch contacts
    4) Output rectifier diodes and connections

To confirm HF output, check for spark at the HF points (G) with the CONTACTOR and AMPERAGE controls set to STANDARD and the HF control set to CONTINUOUS or START.[/QUOT
    Okay I have opened it up and looked around. All the contacts look descent and no sign of broken wires. I have no idea where to start at on testing diodes. and the crackling noise seems to be coming from the HF points. I did download manual and had checked the gaps before I first fired it up and they were at .008 like manual says. if the HF is bad would the welder still work out of hf mode? I don't have a stick set up so I have not tried that but I get absolutley nothing in any setting.