Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default BBQ Pit - Cutting Doors

Building a bbq pit/smoker and started cutting the doors. Cut some of the top of the door and welded the hinges on. Decided to stop and ask for some help before I finish cutting the door out.

The pit is 11ga rolled steel. Do I need to weld the ends on before I cut the doors out to maintain rigidity? 20" diameter, 40" long. Cutting a single 32" door with 4" on each end left.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mking7 View Post
    Do I need to weld the ends on before I cut the doors out to maintain rigidity? 20" diameter, 40" long. Cutting a single 32" door with 4" on each end left.
    Thanks.
    Can't hurt anything to do it, don't know if it's absolutely neccessary. The 4 inches on each side of the cut will still keep things lined up. You can weld the side plates on with a 1-1 1/2 inch weld top, bottom and each side to hold it, and weld it all the way around later if you want to go that route, or weld all the way before finishing the cut. What are you making your cuts with, torch, sawzall, zip wheel on grinder or what?

Cutting with a plasma.

I cut spots where hinges go, weld them on then go to town cuttin the rest

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137