Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default DIALARC HF-E plug wiring 2 phase??

hi everybody!
    ive had a look around the forum and couldnt find a post referring to my problem so here goes...
    i used to work for a race car constructor in the uk.when i left i bought a dialarc that was running on 2 phase power.my boss and the welder supplier both told me that i just needed to alter the plug wiring to get the machine to run on 3 phase power.that however,was 8 years ago! and im not sure i remember which wires to change and desperatly want to avoid any kind of meltdown!the machine was running fine in the factory but im too far out of my depth here to take a chance.from what i remember the wiring change was to be as follows...

2 phase plug wiring

brown----------------L2
    blue------------------L3
    yellow/green----------EARTH

3 phase plug wiring

brown-----------------L1
    blue-------------------L3
    yellow/green-----------EARTH

my questions are,1.does this sound correct and plausible without altering any of the bridge bars inside the machine?
    2.does anyone know if the manual for the DIALARC HF/HF-P is the same as my HF-E and if not does any one have the correct manual?(my serial no. is 0000094811)

i used this welder and some other heliarcs and loved them so much i had to take one with me when i left.thanks P.

Not a valid Miller serial#, so its true manufacturer is unknown

it was manufactured in italy for the european market

Then you'd have to contact the European supplier, or wait till one of your country men answer your question.

Default edmonton!

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Then you'd have to contact the European supplier, or wait till one of your country men answer your question.
    i have a friend in edmonton working in a saw mills.i dont suppose you know him,his name is troy smyth??

Im not sure about your exact machine but 3 phasepower requires 4 wires here in the US and normally you would have to change the bus bars in the machine to run it on 3 phase. i dont have a clue about the european power though.On all our cp 302s and some old hobart machines are blk L1 white L2 red L3 and green is ground. I dont know if this helped at all but thats all i got. Good luck Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxle67 View Post
    Im not sure about your exact machine but 3 phasepower requires 4 wires here in the US and normally you would have to change the bus bars in the machine to run it on 3 phase. i dont have a clue about the european power though.On all our cp 302s and some old hobart machines are blk L1 white L2 red L3 and green is ground. I dont know if this helped at all but thats all i got. Good luck Jesse
    thanks jaxle,im still waiting to get the shed hooked up so no news yet.i never realised there was this much difference between our grids!

Default finally running!

100_5259.jpg100_5260.jpg100_5265.jpgIMG_0438.jpgIMG_0439.jpgthanks to all who posted.i finally have the machine up and running.
    basically it doesnt matter what way the two power wires are connected,l1,l2 or l3 as they are just using 2 of the three phases.i also had to move the bridge bars to the 380v configuration because these were set for 415v (uk only).this done and the hf points cleaned,the the thing struck a beautiful arc(which i hadnt seen for 8 years!!)all going well now and the skills are returning thankfully!

b.t.w. im using monopropylene glycol from a solar water heating system for coolant.does anyone have experience using this?thanks again to everyone.

p.s. im trying to get photos up!

more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images