Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Confuse the newb some more.Etching, buying helium mix... come on the guy's machine is underweight for doing it anyways.He don't have enough amps welding on a heatsink.
    That's nice.... but not very constructive.... if the OP was looking to buy a larger machine ... am pretty sure he would have asked for purchase advice...
    the idea is to help him accomplish the task with the welder he has... ... it can be done and is every day.... sure the welder is marginal... but with the advice from Shovelon...and the others.. he can do a decent job of it.... just part of the learning curve toward the skillset to get the job done with the equipment at hand....
    Last edited by H80N; 06-08-2012 at 08:01 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Default Thanks

Wow, I really appreciate all your responses, ill try 1/8" tungsten, but does that mean changing cup and filler size? Ill definately try clean preheat clean as well. I did notice the welds looking better after the piece got super hot from previous passes. wish I could post pics to thread but they only upload to profile photos.
    And yes im confused about what exactly etching means or how nackfilling is done
    I also take it that my settings apart from the penetration cleaning balance were ok?
    Once again thanks for the great advice

Quote Originally Posted by Goose14 View Post
    Wow, I really appreciate all your responses, ill try 1/8" tungsten, but does that mean changing cup and filler size? Ill definately try clean preheat clean as well. I did notice the welds looking better after the piece got super hot from previous passes. wish I could post pics to thread but they only upload to profile photos.
    And yes im confused about what exactly etching means or how nackfilling is done
    I also take it that my settings apart from the penetration cleaning balance were ok?
    Once again thanks for the great advice
    Goose

you might download and study the TIG Handbook... it is a wealth of basic info and a good general tig reference....it should answer the majority of your questions... and besides it is free...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/TIGhandbook/

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Default Cool

Thanks for the tip ill check it out

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Chem Etch the joints, preheat, and get yourself a bottle of Argon75%/Helium25%.

Backfeed into the corners if you have the talent.

Back off your balance as far as possible until your tungsten balls back too much. You are not allowing the puddle to form on the surface with your balance at full penetration. The puddle will just not glaze if you are at full pen on the balance knob.

Good luck.
    Gotta a question on this one.

Not sure on Goose's Lincoln, but my Syncro 250 transformer topped out at 68% EN with the balance set on MAX. Wouldnt lowering it more put less heat into the part?

Quote Originally Posted by Drf255 View Post
    Gotta a question on this one.

Not sure on Goose's Lincoln, but my Syncro 250 transformer topped out at 68% EN with the balance set on MAX. Wouldnt lowering it more put less heat into the part?
    It would put less heat in the metal and more in the gap.
    I see too often the balance set too much towards penetration and not get an adequate amount of cleaning. When you can clea the surface it helps with the glazing that forms the puddle.

YMMV
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Default ?

What is chem etching and backfeeding, also I checked out Tig handbook it says to sharpen tungsten then flaten tip? Im using fine flap disc to sharpen all I have is 41/2" grinder

[QUOTE=Goose14;287840]What is chem etching and backfeeding, also I checked out Tig handbook it says to sharpen tungsten then flaten tip? Im using fine flap disc to sharpen all I have is 41/2" grinder[/QUOTE

Chem-etching is essentially acid or alkaline etching for removing the oxide layer. Backfeeding is tig welding the opposite direction you would normally weld, or pulling.

Flatening a sharpened tip is counter-intuitive to me. If a flat gets on my tungsten, I sharpen it. The flat on the end of the tungsen changes the arc characteristic to a more columnar arc. I however do that with frequency.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Default Thanks

Got it

Default Starting arc

Do I "mash" down on the pedal tp create an instant puddle or do I start off slowly

Also im sharpeningy tingsten withfine grit flap disc and it doesnt seem to be balling up evenly but it does have a controled arc, whats thebest way to sharpen 2% thoriated tungsten