Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default spool gun/ tig machine

I have a miller sycrowave 250, can you use a spool gun work with my machine?
    If so will the spool matic 30a work?

If not will the millermatic 250 weld aluminum, and what do I need to do so?

I have been mig welding steel only with this machine since new, and tig with the 250, but don't know what else will work with either. Thanks in advance. STeve Sanford

Quote Originally Posted by racecar6755 View Post

I have been mig welding steel only with this machine since new, and tig with the 250, but don't know what else will work with either. Thanks in advance. STeve Sanford
    Syncrowave is a cc welder, for mig welding you need a cv welder. The Millermatic is a cv welder. You can use your spool gun on that and get a tank of 100% argon
    Kevin

Default welding aluminum

Why not use your syncrowave 250 and tig weld alum? All you have to do is switch the machine to AC and get some alum filler rod. A lot easier than mwssing with a spool gun.

Quote Originally Posted by caddidaddy55 View Post
    Why not use your syncrowave 250 and tig weld alum? All you have to do is switch the machine to AC and get some alum filler rod. A lot easier than mwssing with a spool gun.

Huh, how do you figure that, a spoolgun is way easier and way faster to use off a MM250.

Tig welding is not a problem, been doing it for 35 years, never mig'd alum, only steel. I am working on the bottom of my alum 60 ft house boat, has some electrolisis damage that needs repair. A bunch of small spots, and the repairs to do on the inside are in a compartment that is very cramped, not pedal friendly if you know what I mean.
    Will the spoolmatic 30A spool gun work with the MM 250? If so will I need any additional parts?

Sundown does alot of boat work best to ask him

Quote Originally Posted by racecar6755 View Post

Steve

first off... what flavor aluminum are you planning to weld?? thickness, alloy... example of what??? on that houseboat are we talking 1/8th thick or thicker??

SYNC 250 is marvelous for Al TIG...... less than miserable for a MIG spool power supply... would need a VS feeder.... no GOOD way a 30a is going to make you happy in that application... if you could adapt it...

MM250 using straight argon shielding gas, with a teflon gun liner on a short gun [10-12ft preferable] or better yet spool gun... [must have adapter installed] see section 3-2 of the manual..

3-2. Installing Receptacle Module For Use With A Spool Gun (Optional)
    for Spoolmate 185 & Spoolmate 250

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1308n_mil.pdf

to make sure that the info matches your model and manf date plug in your [MM250] serial number here...

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

if going inside hull... the spoolgun option may be your best bet....
    Last edited by H80N; 06-16-2012 at 03:24 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Sundown does alot of boat work best to ask him
    Haven't heard much out of Sundown lately. Maybe some boat talk will bring him out.

Flavor of alum is a mistery, it was made in 69 by Monark, has 3/16 in most of the bottom, but in the stern it looks like 1/4 inch, or it may have a doubler in some areas. I am trying to find out what alloy it is, but cannot find anyone else who owns one or knows much about them. Its built like a tank, twin diesels, Mono hull, so most of the work to be done will be done overhead from outside, and on a slight angle, almost flat inside, but in very cramped quarters. Although the hull is over 4-5 ft deep, rear half cabin is recessed into hull, and available work height is limited,( don't enjoy going in there to do work in south Texas in summer)
    So I am guessing if the receptical module matches the spoolmatic 30a gun that I have, it will work. I can get with air gas next week and check it out with the module. Thanks for the info, any other info and the info recieved is much appreciated. Steve

This is our project, if the pic post, if you are interested. Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images