Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Light Aircraft Construction

Here is an instructional film of the construction of a Piper J3 Cub during WWII...

Part of it illustrates the fixturing and welding of the Chrome Moly tube fuselage..
    the same techniques would apply to a sports racing car chassis... with some adaptation to the TIG welding process.... as opposed to oxy-fuel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q6q1VKsTeKQ

It is instructive to see how effectively things were done some 70 years ago... before hi-tech

This link had been posted on SFT... credit where due and kudos to diggerdoug..
    Last edited by H80N; 06-05-2012 at 05:10 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Dynasty 200DX Aircraft Fuselage Welding...

What a difference 70 years makes.... here is a Bearhawk 4130 tube fuselage TIG welded with a Dynasty...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guZCK_0BMqo

this is fairly short but very informative on tube welding technique..... the rest of his videos worth watching as well.....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Great videos. As a former pilot, I always enjoy instructional videos that include welding and aircraft.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™ (Sold)
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Smile Early Days of seeing Piper J3 and other chromemoy framed aircraft repairs..

quote from above: "It is instructive to see how effectively things were done some 70 years ago... before hi-tech"

and the skills of those doing the work that were not so obvious to the bystander..

I had an older brother who started working at a local small airport in exchange for flying time.. He was flying at the age of 14 and went on to become a Navy carrier pilot flying the F8 Crusader.

A fringe benefit to me as a young kid was a free run of the place (times were different back then) and I learned alot just from visual observation of engines and aircraft in various states of disassembly and the bone yard out back of one of the hangers of a few aircraft that had crashed or were scrapped out.

This strip was run by an FAA certified A&E mechanic who rebuilt engines, did major repairs to aircraft and that of course got into O/A gas welding of the chromemoly tube frames that a number of aircraft including the Piper J3 were constructed of.

Pieces of chromemoly were cut out of the boneyard scrapped airframes on occasion to make repairs to other aircraft.. Of course it was only in later years I myself learned of the care that must be taken, and post heat treating of chromemoly after the gas welding..

I've have a few photographs from this era and documented some of the memories in this link.. http://home.4x4wire.com/deddleman/se...navy_days.html
    Hobby Welder for about 32 years
    Hobart 190 MIG with SpoolGun
    Hobart AirForce 700i Plasma Cutter
    Hornell Speedglas 9000X Helmet
    295A AC Buzzbox (what I learned on)
    Miller Bobcat 225, factory propane option, also serves as my emergency power generator
    Dandeman Dan's Toy Page

I am not aware of the need to heat treat after gas welding. Can you expound on that statement?

"I myself learned of the care that must be taken, and post heat treating of chromemoly after the gas welding.."

http://home.4x4wire.com/deddleman/se...navy_days.html[/QUOTE]

Jerry Jackson
    San Antonio

Thumbs up

With what looks like the beginings of a good discussion of oxy-fuel over on the welding forum...

I thought this thread might need a bounce....

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Equipment-line

Oxy-Fuel is a versatile method that will always be around...

Heck... if we see one of those doomsday scenarios where tech is destroyed and shield gasses like argon & helium become unobtanium...non-players... electronics is inop or EMP'd

We will still be able to decompose water and weld using Oxy-Hydrogen.... and do a darned respectable job of it in many areas...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-11-2013 at 08:32 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200