Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6010

Back in the 1970's we only used 6010 on pipe. This was before 7018 became popular.
    All 3 passes were done in 6010. There was even a TEXAS WEAVE that was big hit back then. The old guys were awesome with this stuff. One guy told me he used to weld on Navy ships with it all day long. You had to turn in your stubs to get more rod. That was when a welder came to the job with his leather shopping bag filled with his goodies. Now some guys use 5 gallon buckets.

Default 6010

Bob I took that test .... I'll admit it was a lil difacult there was a buttweld on 6 g no problem then a Sleave test on a water cooled pipe that was a lil different the 7018 root butter pass was a new one for me I got it down I was surprised when they said to do it that way.... Then there was the branch t that seperated the men from the boys I passed that one too but a lot of Guys that were good welders flunked it cause they could not cut a decent looking saddle and branch and when it came time to weld it didn't fit........ Since you took the marathon test back east I'm guessing you met there inspector. Buck he is a cool dude

As I said I don't do a lot, on occasion have some underground steel water line, usually built from scrap old rusty pipe, I make a z to for underground. Welded them with a wire welder done it every way and now its an occasion to burn a handful of rods and do it outside if the weather is nice but a wall of .200 or so and square cut with plasma, real rudimentary grind and zip a bead around it with an old box of 6010 I have been trying to use up. I rarely even chip them and never get a leak.

If I got the right pics, these are no beauties but demonstrates some of the principle, I think the second pic is the root but with .25 or 3/16 here and a 1/8 or bigger rod and a bit more practice than I get can stack a gap in a 1/4 plate or pipe in a pass.

Over the years have welded more than a few pipes, some early in my career in the trades. gobs of out of position, simple torch cut, fill any gap with a stripper tacks, beads and start right around the bottom and go to the top with 6010 and 5/32 is better especially on larger bore. Driven well casing, space it with a couple welding rds and burn a 10 around it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-03-2012 at 11:30 AM.

These are really crude but,,,, they didn't take long either. As recall all I had was 1/8 rod so the weld time is how ever fast you can burn half a dozen, maybe 8 rods back to back. Usually I dont even bother rolling them, reach under weld up around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.

One time back in the day when I was slumming hired on with this contractor in a small shipyard I had worked next to. The guy finds a piece of 3 inch pipe and as a welding test says cut it in half weld it back together, this is on the bench mind you. I was being my wise ass self and really didn't give a darn, he points to the tool van and walks away.

didn'tnt even go to my car, I picked up a torch which was right there and burn this pipe in half, no line no soapstone, nada, chipped the slag with another piece of steel, put on a pair of sunglasses and roll it back out as I burn 3 maybe 4 rods or so. I must have been done in like 5 minutes or so and 10 later the guy comes back around, he was wondering when I was going to start, I was going to warn him it was hot but,,, anyway he looks in this coupon and says,,, how many passes,,,, I say,,, well 1. , ha.

This whole crew, picking and pecking, grinding, a pass of this and a couple of that for this simple drain line.

Default 6010

That is funny and very familiar sberry I too was out of work a few winters back swallowed my pride and drove to a shipyard that was hiring for a pipe job ...... At the time it sounded better than going to prudhoe bay ..... And actually I don't regret the experiance anyway the foreman said ( so you are a pipe welder huh? Don't really look like one but ok run this six inch out for me and don't take all day ) he walks away and I bevel each end hook the old Stinger it would just bearlly hold an 1/8 inch rod and I burnt in a nice root at a six g position ..... I went and found the foreman and said hey my roots in if you want to look before I proceed he looks at me funny and says he will be there in a minute he acted real confused and kinda pissed ..... So he comes over looks at the pipe then looks at means says how did us get that bead on the inside like that I laughed thinking he was was being funny and loosing up but he was serious ..... That ended my test right there he said I was the only one he had seen working there that could do that and hired me..... Lol. Ha! I also ended up being the only guy who didn't stove pipe everything he welded and fit ahhhhh the good old days at the ship yard

i was asked where i use 6011x3/32", it is used on all of the little projects i do around the house and shop that would usually be migged, we have a 50 acre lot in a very rural area, i have created a wild life safe habitat, i build all kinds of stuff for the animals, i like the challenge of welding thin stuff by stick, no matter how long a person has been welding, challenging one self can only keep the skills up to date, try it some time

Default 6010

Haaaaaa !!!! Lol !!!! Haaaa. Lmfao !!!!!! I think I will just shut my mouth for once

One time the co wanted to test the welders, this is a union ironworking job, it was about silly but 3 passes on a t and they would back break them. I had peripherally knew the guy and he was kind of a **** so when he wasn't looking I just smoke a lo-hi in the root, I might have tipped it out to gain a crack, it was like 30 yrs ago but I burn it in about 20 too hot, it must have melted about 2/3 or so thru the plate, ha.

When I left he had flattened this thing was still trying some scheme to pound it, looked like he might resort to sledgege of sorts but I skipped out when he was starting to get really red in the face and sweat. My bud behind me said he work for a long time, involving lots of swearing. Had it right flat, couldn'tnt bend it any more. Wouldn'tnt bust. I still giggle when I think about it

hey drippy pipe, did i say some thing that you found was funny, how old are you? 10