Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Best plasma cutter

I bought a 625 spectrum going on 2 yrs ago. Although I've never used anything other than mine, I've had nothing but good things to say about it

Quote Originally Posted by plasmaman View Post
    I just want to clear up your confusion Hypertherm has NEVER mde a power supply plasam or any other for Miller the 375's have always been made in Appleton Wisconsin.
    The Miller 375 and the Powermax 380 are the same machine with torches that are both made by HT but use different consumables. Perhaps I got the manufacturer of the power supply wrong. So who made what?

The PowerMax 380 was built by Miller in Appleton, WI.

Has anybody tried any of Miller's new XT torches for the 375 or 625? They look like they would fit your hand much better than the Hypertherm torches.

Default hypertherm powermax 600

I have been running a welding/fab shop, for over 25 years so I am not new to this bussiness. I bought a hypertherm 600 in 2006 to replace a max 42 and have had very poor service out of this machine(low power poor cut quality,cuts fair one time hardly cuts the next).machine returned twice said it did not cut very well it may be consumables.Have 4 pages of notes of talking with hypertherm tech dept dating from 2007 to 2013,have bought and tested every thing they ask me to .They suplied me with a new torch (123) not the up grade, made no difference.Last week after testing the ISGT(i think this is correct)
    module,which checked OK the tech guy told me that the machine was doing all it could, that they do not cut as good as a max 42,(This machine does not cut 1/4 very well). Has anyone else had problems with the 600? I have a friend who has a hot rod shop uses a 600 and is having the same problems as I am. I need a new cutter but do not know what to buy,am favoring a thermal dynamics 52, have also been looking at a esab 700. Would like to hear from other 600 owners. Thanks

There are over 55,000 Powermax600's in the field....it is a 40 amp air plasma with a 3/8" production rating and the ability to sever up through 3/4" steel. 1/4" steel should cut dross free and with ease with that unit. About 4 years ago the Powermax600....which had been in production for over 10 years....was replaced with the Powermax45.

The 600, operating as designed will outperform the older technology Powermax42....it will provide longer consumable life, higher duty cycle as well as more cutting power in killowatts (faster , thicker).

Usually, with any inverter based plasma cutter, low power issues are related to air flow leaks or restrictions within the system. If, with new consumables the machine could not cut 3/8" steel at the speeds listed in your operators manual...and with excellent quality...then I would start looking through the internal plumbing components (solenoid, filter, regulator, hoses, fittings) as well as the torch and leads for either a leak...or a restriction that limits air flow. It is rare that output DC power causes the type of symptoms you mention.

While it sounds like you have had your share of issues with the unit....I would be more than happy to work with you to try and sort it out. If nothing else we could get it working to specifications....as the 600's are extremely popular on the used machine market.

Contact me directly if I can help in any way. Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Quote Originally Posted by voudoux View Post
    I have been running a welding/fab shop, for over 25 years so I am not new to this bussiness. I bought a hypertherm 600 in 2006 to replace a max 42 and have had very poor service out of this machine(low power poor cut quality,cuts fair one time hardly cuts the next).machine returned twice said it did not cut very well it may be consumables.Have 4 pages of notes of talking with hypertherm tech dept dating from 2007 to 2013,have bought and tested every thing they ask me to .They suplied me with a new torch (123) not the up grade, made no difference.Last week after testing the ISGT(i think this is correct)
    module,which checked OK the tech guy told me that the machine was doing all it could, that they do not cut as good as a max 42,(This machine does not cut 1/4 very well). Has anyone else had problems with the 600? I have a friend who has a hot rod shop uses a 600 and is having the same problems as I am. I need a new cutter but do not know what to buy,am favoring a thermal dynamics 52, have also been looking at a esab 700. Would like to hear from other 600 owners. Thanks

Thanks Jim.I have looked into this "air problem" and followed what I was told to do to check the air delivery.I have 160 psi to a external regulator where it is regulated to 100psi,then to an external filter(the type recomended by the tech guys) it is the type that I think originly used toilet paper.Next to the machine where it is regulated to 80 psi ,which give me 74 psi when the triger is pulled or it is in the test mode,amp knob turned all the way to the left.They could not tell me a way to test CFM.There seems to be quite a bit of air blowing out,I know this is not very scientific. When I bought this machine it was sold as a1/2 inch cutter with the ability to sever 5/8 inch,not a3/8 that would just barely cut 1/2.I must disagree with you on the max 42, it was a much better cutting less trouble some( I did not use 2 regulaters nor an external filter) It was dependable worked the same every time you used it and cut 1/2 inch good.but I agree consumable life was not as good.I will try any thing you ask to try to fix it. Thanks again

I can see a few things that could contribute to the issue...

1. Inlet air pressure and plasma air pressure are two different things.

-Inlet pressure for a Powermax600 needs to be between 90 psi and 120 psi with the air flowing at the torch. This pressure needs to be read right at the inlet, after any regulators or filters. If you are reading a gauge on the upstream side of a filter, then the inlet pressure will always be lower under air flow conditions.

-Outlet pressure must always be set by turning the amperage knob fully ccw, this activates the air solenoid. Set the pressure according to the specs in the operators manual....which for cutting will be 70 psi. Too low and the nozzle will arc internally, too high and the electrode will wear rapidly.

2. The use of "Motorguard" style filters is good...as long as the replacebale element from motorguard is used. Many buyers were told to use a common roll of toilet paper for the element...unfortunately toilet paper is designed to break down over time with moisture....and will deposit small pieces of paper in the small orifices in your plasma plumbing system, torch leads and torch. Any filter also requires that a pressure gauge is installed on the tool (plasma) side of the filter....this is because all filters create a restriction when air is flowing, effectively dropping the pressure to the tool. When the filter gets clogged or saturated with water, the restriction gets worse.

3. The Powermax600 was advertised for cutting up through 3/8" (production and mechanized cutting) and up through 3/4" severance. I guarantee that if I had your machine in my shop that it would be able to cut 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4"......of course I may have to solve whatever issue is causing it not to cut these thicknesses first!

If you had a Powermax42 and had good luck with it...then bought a 600 and did not...then I understand why you would like the 42 better....makes perfect sense to me. I was involved in the design of both.....and I know for a fact that the 600 produces a higher load voltage at the same amperage as the 42...and at a much higher duty cycle. For this reason....I know for a fact that (assuming it is operating as designed) that it will cut thicker and faster. The 600 was sold in quantities that were almost 20 times higher than the 42...and had an amazing reliability record compared to the 42.

Conact me directly and maybe we can work out a way to get your unit checked out....it kind of depends on where you are located.....if you could get it to my home shop in NH I'd be happy to personally test it and diagnose any issues.

Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Quote Originally Posted by voudoux View Post
    Thanks Jim.I have looked into this "air problem" and followed what I was told to do to check the air delivery.I have 160 psi to a external regulator where it is regulated to 100psi,then to an external filter(the type recomended by the tech guys) it is the type that I think originly used toilet paper.Next to the machine where it is regulated to 80 psi ,which give me 74 psi when the triger is pulled or it is in the test mode,amp knob turned all the way to the left.They could not tell me a way to test CFM.There seems to be quite a bit of air blowing out,I know this is not very scientific. When I bought this machine it was sold as a1/2 inch cutter with the ability to sever 5/8 inch,not a3/8 that would just barely cut 1/2.I must disagree with you on the max 42, it was a much better cutting less trouble some( I did not use 2 regulaters nor an external filter) It was dependable worked the same every time you used it and cut 1/2 inch good.but I agree consumable life was not as good.I will try any thing you ask to try to fix it. Thanks again

Thanks again,I will check the inlet air pressure as you described,and get back in touch,may take a little while as I am going to be out of town for a cople of weeks.Would you rather I contacted you directly or like we have been? I am located in central NC.

I checked the air preasures on my machine like you sugested,it had 120psi going into the Motorguard filter,110psi going into the machine,and 72 psi showing at the gauge on the machine all of these readings are with the air flowing with the amp adjustment in the test (all the way ccw) mode. Is this what you ment?

Default powermax 45

$1605 (20ft hand torch) cheapest I've seen

Thanks for the link