Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes, Pleas explain the position on low quality torch. I have a machine torch on mine, but may eventually add a hand torch if I ever get my plasma table going again. I know Hypertherm is the best, especially in my opinion also, but why the torch comment. Empirical data or anecdotal hearsay? I would love to see the basis of that observation. If there is supporting documentation you should submit it to Hypertherm or at least fwd it to Jim Colt and let them know that there is an uncorrected flaw. They may already have a fix or something in the pipe line to address a specific flaw.
    Thanks
    Bob

i have a miller 625 and that seems to be a very good machine for my application. my wife draws designs on 1/8 sheet stock and i cut them out. dont use it for heavy industrial work just artwork

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer:287245
    From a tech point of view, the hypertherm is the best machine, but does not have the best torch.

The Thermadyne has the best torch and second best machine and has a year longer warranty.

The Miller inverter based is ok, and satisfactory torches

The ESAB is great for industrial applications not so much for the garage guy or low end applications

The Lincoln is junk when it comes to plasmas
    My experiance from the various plasma cutters at work is identical to this I couldnt phrase it any better myself. Repair on our millers though are a little worse than cruzer stated though. The ESAB has held up the best, but with most dificulty of use.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

With hand plasma torches there are many differing thoughts regarding what users like and dislike. A lot of it has to do with the ergonomics of the torch....shape of the handle, location and operation of the trigger switch, angle of the torch head (90 degrees, 70 degrees, 15 degrees, etc.). Generally users tend to get used to what they use the most...and all others just don't feel right.

The other differences are with operation of the torch and its features.....pilot arc length and power (will it start well on rusty, painted or masked material?). Can the torch be dragged or temp[late cut at full power? Maximum pierce capacity without consumable damage.

Of course there are those that rate torches based on cut speed, consumable life, cut quality, system portability.

After 35 years in this business (plasma cutting....both hand held and mechanized) one thing is certain: The major brand plasma systems have come a long way! The early hand held units were slow, large, cut poorly, used a lot of power and were unreliable.......today's systems are incredible timesaving units that have eliminated the use of oxy-fuel rigs in many applications.

I urge those that are in the market to go to the weld supply dealers and try out as many different brands as possible...choose the one that suits your personal needs. Look at duty cycles, consumable life, maximum cut ratings.....look at the manuals and documentation that comes with the equipment...and most of all...ask around on the public forums before buying.

Then of course there is the whole world of mechanized plasma cutting....from the 45 amp air plasma up through 1000 amp systems that use argon-hydrogen for cutting....

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Rezeppa View Post
    My experiance from the various plasma cutters at work is identical to this I couldnt phrase it any better myself. Repair on our millers though are a little worse than cruzer stated though. The ESAB has held up the best, but with most dificulty of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Drf255 View Post
    I had a Miller 375 (which was made by Hypertherm for Miller). Now have a PM45. Go for the Hypertherm. Theyre underrated. I was able to cut 1.25" bar with mine, and cuts on 1/4 to 1/2" are so nice they look machined.
    I just want to clear up your confusion Hypertherm has NEVER mde a power supply plasam or any other for Miller the 375's have always been made in Appleton Wisconsin.

Default Opinions Vary but each person has an opinion.

I have a Hypertherm PM1000G3, I absolutely love it. I had an issue when I first got it but Hypertherm took care of my machine. The issue, bad solder job on main boards during change in manufacturing, was made during a certain time frame of which there were varying degrees of failure across many HT product. Jim Colt, who posted on this thread was one of the people that helped me in getting my machine fixed. It works everytime I pull the trigger.

One decision in chossing your plasma cutter is how well does your supplier keep comsumables in stock and which machines are setting on the showroom floor. I looked at Miller first, but consumables where not readily available and the dealer, AirGas did not keep them instock. The Hypertherm was in stock and consumables on the parts shelf in the showroom. Check the suppliers in your area.

There are many post and threads here on the Miller Welds Forum that have vast amounts of information about choosing plasma cutters and why. There are also post about issues and solutions found by myself and others. Do a search using my username or search for post on particular models or brandnames of product, the information is there.

Like the MM200, the HT PM1000G3 are still around and command demand and price because they are solid machine. Like my MM200, my HT PM1000G3 would have to be a pile of molten metal on the floor for me to replace it or consider getting a different unit to replace it with.

Charlie Johnson
    Modern Well Service & Supply
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Actually Miller used Hypertherm torches for many years on its plasma systems, and also built power supplies for Hypertherm...specifically the Hypertherm Powermax190, the Powermax350 and Powermax380.

Jim Colt

Hypertherm is The best hands down
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts

Miller 375 xtreme... love it, cant go wrong.

I had a post here about plasma cutters not to long ago. The jest was I wanted to replace my 900 Hypertherm for a bigger unit. I also wanted it to run off of my TB302,
    and in the shop run off 3 phase. I wanted a machine that did not need have a hard wire change from shop to pickup. I wanted something like Miller's Auto Line.
    I polled the forum and narrowed it down to Hypertherm and Thermal Dymanics.
    The man from TD said their 152 would go both 3 phase and single phase.
    The only reason I bought the TD 152 is because my LWS did not handle Hypertherm.
    I found out later that the TD needed a hard wire change to go from 3 phase to single phase.
    So I hooked it up 3 phase and bought a Miller 625 for the pickup.
    The Thermal Dymanics is very hard on consumables.
    If I had to do it all over, I go with Hypertherm.
    My friend has one and it is auto line.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus