Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best plasma cutter

I've been lookin at the hypertherm and the miller plasma cutters and I got a quote on the hypertherm and the guy at Airgas told me that the millers were junk but just lookin for some advice...Thanks.

Everyone has a preference. Here's a site on the Hypertherm that will help'

http://weldingweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Not knowing your location but prices will vary. Here's my local guy that has reasonable prices. He has the Powermax 45, $1550.00 shipped.

http://www.weldersupply.com/

Lincoln and Thermal Dynamics are junk.....in my opinion.
    Millers are ok just do not have the technology that Hypertherm does.
    My choice 10 yrs ago?....Powermax 1000.
    My choice today if I had the need?......Powermax 65 hands down(but a Powermax 45 is one bad azz little machine too).

Default Best plasma cutter

Thanks for the replys...

I had a Miller 375 (which was made by Hypertherm for Miller). Now have a PM45. Go for the Hypertherm. Theyre underrated. I was able to cut 1.25" bar with mine, and cuts on 1/4 to 1/2" are so nice they look machined.

I cannot offer any comparison, but I bought a Powermax 45 about 6 weeks ago and it is a very impressive little box! I possibly could have gotten by with a smaller, less powerful unit but everyone says to buy bigger than you think you need. I am satisfied

Make sure you get some sort of air and water filter. It's mind boggling how much water is in the shop air.

Ken

i have a cutmaster 82s thermadyne, very satisfied!

From a tech point of view, the hypertherm is the best machine, but does not have the best torch.

The Thermadyne has the best torch and second best machine and has a year longer warranty.

The Miller inverter based is ok, and satisfactory torches

The ESAB is great for industrial applications not so much for the garage guy or low end applications

The Lincoln is junk when it comes to plasmas

When it comes to plasma cutters there are 3 names that stand out above the rest in cut performance and value. Hypertherm, Thermal Dynamics (aka thermadyne) and ESAB. I have used all 3 brands and they are all standouts above all others. My personal machine at home is a Thermal Dynamics and I have no complaints.
    No idea why big mike says the thermal units are junk? I respectfully disagree.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    From a tech point of view, the hypertherm is the best machine, but does not have the best torch.

The Thermadyne has the best torch and second best machine and has a year longer warranty.

The Miller inverter based is ok, and satisfactory torches

The ESAB is great for industrial applications not so much for the garage guy or low end applications

The Lincoln is junk when it comes to plasmas
    What makes the TD torch superior to the Hypertherm torch?