Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Welding

get a nice piece of dry oak, while the flame is still burning neutral, drag the tip over the wood, this is also good to do with the cutting torch, it cleans the tip on the inside, but dont try it with the rose bud unless you are quick. this might help with the tip over heating and popping

If your #2 tip is popping as soon as the puddle starts to form in 1/8" steel, I doubt you are overheating the tip. If the new o-rings don't fix it, look for a partly-plugged tip, bad seating of the base of the tip, something like that. Clear the tip with the biggest tip cleaner that will go in the hole, but just make a few strokes and don't saw away at it. If the tip is old and bell-mouthed, replace it. If it's rounded off or dinged, dress it with a mill file to the shape of a new tip, then make a pass with the tip cleaner.

If you're welding dirty metal or with cheap rod, and getting a lot of sparks spitting around even with a neutral flame, the sparks will often attach to the edge of the tip. When you see that bright orange particle, give the tip a quick wipe across a piece of wood, as Kevin said.

too close, too small of flame or short on fuel.

I can't believe someone would suggest cleaning your torch tip by burning wood. Sure it makes the torch burp and cough but I don't think it really cleans shiit just go by a tip cleaner it's like three bucks and my secret to flawless cutting or gas welding is clean the tip after every single weld or cut no exceptions

Dr. Pipe I agree with a lot of your posts but many old school welders over the years have showed me the dry wood trick cleaning torch tips and it works well not as well as a torch cleaning tip but with a ton of cuts or large demolition job speed is everything and it does work.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Quote Originally Posted by drpipe View Post
    I can't believe someone would suggest cleaning your torch tip by burning wood. Sure it makes the torch burp and cough but I don't think it really cleans shiit just go by a tip cleaner it's like three bucks and my secret to flawless cutting or gas welding is clean the tip after every single weld or cut no exceptions
    Kevin is correct with the oak block. Torch brazers been doing for a century or more. Is an oldtimer's technique that is safe and gentle to the tip that I was taught in college. Someone that reams his tips when they don't need it is lke someone getting an enema every day for no reason.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Default Gas Welding

I never said it doesn't work I was taught the same thing all I'm saying is its tough to beat a three dollar to cleaner .......guys used to wear cool rose colored glasses too or dry their rod by by sticking it to the base metal before they welded geeeeeesh some welders are stuck in there ways do you guys still file your bevels on too or do you use a grinder? Lol

Thanks for all the the advice. I opened up the handle and found lots of soot. Then I checked the o rings in the mixer and the were dry rotted. I cleaned the soot out, but now have to find new o rings.
    That's because cheap torches often use "fecal" O-rings to save money over Viton.

I have (many) US-made torches which are decades old whose seals are still supple and which pass inert gas pressure checks higher than factory specs.

I don't resell ChiCom junk torches or regs when I get them in a lot. I destroy them and the hunks go in the scrap bin. I once included one (drilled so it couldn't be used) in an Ebay sale with a Victor torch so the buyer could SEE the differences!

Did the crispy seal areas resemble the ones in the linked thread below?

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=31752

The same people who made your Torch-Shaped Object made your oxygen and acetylene regulators.

Good equipment isn't expensive. Bad equipment can be EXTREMELY expensive. A failed acetylene diaphragm could fill your shop or garage with enough gas to do Bad Things.

Google Image Search "acetylene explosion" (propane can be deadly too).
    Last edited by 1930case; 06-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Default Gas Welding

The o rings crumbled when I tried to remove them. The set is about ten years old, but not used very much. I had many flashbacks trying to figure out what was wrong. I had check valves installed but heard these don't work as good as flash arresters. I finally found new Viton o rings, just waiting for delivery. I also ordered flash arresters. I don't want to take a chance having the hose explode or worse the tank.

I really need to get this off of my chest, a few post back, i offered some good advice, only to be ridiculed, aren't we all a bunch of guys, not squawking women who have the same occupation and like the opportunity to chat with other brother welders about our daily lives on the job as a welder or fitter, burner., i am getting sick of this nit picking crap between people, there are some very nice people here with tons of great knowledge, lets all behave on that level. please