Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stick Electrode Smackdown

Hey yall!!

So, this is what I've been up to lately, I ran some welds with 6011, 6013, 7014, and 7018:

And then hammered them apart:

Which was actually pretty fun and very stress relieving. My weakest weld was 7014, then 6013, 6011, and 7018. It honestly wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I was really impressed with how the 7018 held up, considering I ran all these with cheap Hobart electrodes and that 7018 had been sitting out since last winter. What I don't fully understand yet, tho, is the huge difference in the performance of the 70XX electrodes, how one failed so soon and the other held up so well. I know that one is low hydgren, but is that all that made the difference? Hopefully someone can shed a little light on that...

But anyway, hope yall enjoy the video I made this after someone asked me about weld strenght with the different electrodes, and I thought back to last summer to a series of posts made by CEP (although I'm not sure he's on this forum). He's a great welder and did pretty much the same test that I did, so I got his permission to copy his test and made it in video form. If you're reading this, thanks dude

Cool

Thats cool. 7018 has been my go to rod for the last 34 years and still is...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

yea me too for the 7018, odd that the 7014 broke before the 6013, i have run it in the past and was not impressed, although i know people who swear by it, you really have to watch the puddle so flux is not traped,i too would like to know why it broke before the 6013, unfortuanatly, i dont stock either rod

Since all rods were 1/8", why wasn't the same amperage used on all the rods? That seems like it would have been a more fair comparison test. The 7018 had more amps to burn in deeper than the other rods and that possibly could have had more impact on how well it held up compared to the other welds on lower amps. Was it the same number of rods in each weld? Again, more rods used in a given length of weld will have a bearing on how well it holds up in this kind of test. I didn't hear any mention of the number of rods used in each one.

Default Smash!

Yes! Your video was fun to watch. I enjoy testing stuff in the shop as well.

Although there are scientific and metallurgical factors and considerations that would provide solid data, I understand you are working at the bench here. That being said, I would agree with Bistineau - amperage and penetration would be critical in your tests. All things being equal (and I understand, shop-feasible), I think two separate tests might be the way to go. First, seeing all rods at the same amperage would be an interesting test and then a second test, with allowed ideal amperage's (specific to rod) taking great care to match all weld appearance (throat, contour, toe, etc). I realize this testing could go off the deep end. Ha ha.

Lastly, as much as I too enjoy smashing stuff with a sledge hammer, perhaps something more controlled, such as a hydraulic press may offer more consistent results.

Everything weldotron said, especially the testing with the hydraulic press. After beating on all the other pieces first with the BFH, it's possible fatigue may have started to set in some, requiring more blows to accomplish destruction. The press doesn't get tired, and can give a more accurate pressure read out for comparison purposes.
    You might want to team up with Lanse on welding web.com he did exactly the same test

weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=126451
    Last edited by Bistineau; 05-30-2012 at 06:32 PM.

I could be wrong here but I think the OP is more interested in being on camera and making videos.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Since all rods were 1/8", why wasn't the same amperage used on all the rods?
    That statement, by itself, shows your ignorance. Just cruise thru the Lincoln website, stopping at every PDF file for each type of rod, and take notes, you will soon see how truely stupid that thought really is.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Cool

I prob would have used the same amps. I am not a fan of 6011 or 6013 but i do know you don't run them as hot as 7018 or you will have a hole. Learned that...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

So why would you even attempt to run them at the same amps, bob??? Every different rod has different parameters, intended for different applications, you don't use a 6010/6011 where a 7018 is called for. You admit yourself, "blow holes",,, it is incomprehensible to me that somebody who knows this thinks they could run a test,,,, in your words,,,, "I prob would have used the same amps".
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....