Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spoolmatic 1 Gun has no fire?

I have an older Millermatic 200, the front is worn off & I can't see the S/N. 1st question is where should that be located?

The the welder's on board MIG works great but when the Spoolmatic 1 is plugged into the 4 pin connection, gas is connected (straight to the Ar bottle) and the lead is plugged & twisted into the possitive recepticle, I get no arc. The ground is secure to the work pc and the trigger activates the gas flow & the wire feeds the .030 aluminum 4043 wire just fine.
    A key part to this puzzle is that I have never used a spoolmatic gun on this machine nor used this gun.
    Is there something I am missing on the setup? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have a center console to build for my boat & its that time of year!

You'll have to have a looksee on the inside of the machine for the serial #, It'll be taped in several places.

The spoolgun is working correctly, though without a serial#, we can't tell you as to which relay is cooked inside the MM200.

When you pull the trigger on the spoolgun, do you get any voltage at the machine output taps? Another easy thing to check is the wires at the 4 pin plug on the gun side. Unscrew the shrouud and make sure all 4 are connected.

When you pull the trigger on the gun, do you hear the main contactor in the machine make that "thump" that you get with pulling the trigger on the regular mig gun?

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    You'll have to have a looksee on the inside of the machine for the serial #, It'll be taped in several places.

The spoolgun is working correctly, though without a serial#, we can't tell you as to which relay is cooked inside the MM200.
    No s/n on anything.... the Board Assy # is JF-20 057314...? I've got drive roll motor #, Fan motor # and even a wiring diagram # B-093009-A, but that it! Any of this helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by Drf255 View Post
    When you pull the trigger on the spoolgun, do you get any voltage at the machine output taps? Another easy thing to check is the wires at the 4 pin plug on the gun side. Unscrew the shrouud and make sure all 4 are connected.

When you pull the trigger on the gun, do you hear the main contactor in the machine make that "thump" that you get with pulling the trigger on the regular mig gun?
    Where would I check the output taps on the MM... ground & lead ?
    All 4 pins are connected.
    Yes, the familiar thump from the MM main contactor is heard.

Default no ark

Just for laughs, unplug the lead from the twistlock and check contenuity between the plug end and the contact tip.

Quote Originally Posted by caddidaddy55 View Post
    Just for laughs, unplug the lead from the twistlock and check contenuity between the plug end and the contact tip.
    Good idea.... yes, I have contenuity...
    Last edited by MIke ICSS; 05-25-2012 at 11:08 AM.

I presume the B-093009-A wiring diagram you have is off the inside of the machine making it a SN between JD726217 and JF926443. You can download the manual here:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1301d_mil.pdf

The suspect relay is CR2 and because the SM1 motor runs says that half of the relay is functioning and it's likely the other set of contacts is either stuck (COM to NC) or contacts are damaged or otherwise just not making contact. Or there's a bad connection/broken wire in the output contactor control circuit from CR2.

Another thing to look for is one of those blue squeeze type connectors connecting leads #34 and #37 together at CR2. If there is, the unit has been modified for use with a WC-24 weld controller for operating a Spoolmatic 15/30A . If so, CR2 can be defective and not just stuck contacts but that connector would explain why the SM1 drive motor would work.

However, if the machine has been modified, there is a very good chance the SM1 motor brake circuit resistor and/or capacitor inside the MM200 are damaged. Does the SM1 motor stop immediately when the trigger is released or does it drift to a stop?
    Last edited by duaneb55; 05-26-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Default 057314 Control Board

Oh and FYI, that 057314 control board was used on a number of machines including a bunch of stand-alone wire feeders.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    I presume the B-093009-A wiring diagram you have is off the inside of the machine making it a SN between JD726217 and JF926443. You can download the manual here:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1301d_mil.pdf

The suspect relay is CR2 and because the SM1 motor runs says that half of the relay is functioning and it's likely the other set of contacts is either stuck (COM to NC) or contacts are damaged or otherwise just not making contact. Or there's a bad connection/broken wire in the output contactor control circuit from CR2.

Another thing to look for is one of those blue squeeze type connectors connecting leads #34 and #37 together at CR2. If there is, the unit has been modified for use with a WC-24 weld controller for operating a Spoolmatic 15/30A . If so, CR2 can be defective and not just stuck contacts but that connector would explain why the SM1 drive motor would work.

However, if the machine has been modified, there is a very good chance the SM1 motor brake circuit resistor and/or capacitor inside the MM200 are damaged. Does the SM1 motor stop immediately when the trigger is released or does it drift to a stop?
    Yes the wiring diagram was inside the cover next to the wire spool, my MM200's front panel looks like the one from the 1985 manual (s/n JD726217).
    The CR2 does not appear to have been modified as you described. I can see the two contactors open & close.
    When the trigger is released the motor stops immediately.
    Is my best option to replace the CR2 relay (if they are readily available & not too much $$?
    Thanks again for all the help from you all...