Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Miller big 20

Default Miller big 20

I have a miller big 20, I produces 120 volts just fine, but will not strike an ark, I have replaced the brushes, cleaned the slip rings. Looking for some help

Is it the miller big 20 with the field generating separate Alternator? IF so, thats your likely problem....

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Is it the miller big 20 with the field generating separate Alternator? IF so, thats your likely problem....
    I replaced the alternater, when I replaced the brushes, it's puting out 48 volts, if I turn the fine tune all the way up, it had sat for years till I got it. When I got it it would not run any ac or weld, I got the ac working, I struck an ark for about 30 sec and then nothing
    Last edited by Dustymrrw; 05-24-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Well if you have AC auxillary, then we know that the rotor is ok, so that leaves us with a corroded tap selector switch ( wd-40 it and swing it back and forth a bunch), failed 34 ohm control, or a winding has fallen off the stabilizer. Unlikely to be the diodes as you'd still have weld output even if one had failed.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Well if you have AC auxillary, then we know that the rotor is ok, so that leaves us with a corroded tap selector switch ( wd-40 it and swing it back and forth a bunch), failed 34 ohm control, or a winding has fallen off the stabilizer. Unlikely to be the diodes as you'd still have weld output even if one had failed.
    Where is the 34 ohm control, tap selector switch is good I have cleaned it cleaned the terminals, i tapped one of the backs on the selector switch and got a ark, but nothing from either side of the shunt, all three diodes will ark. I know it sounds crazy but I have to see what I have and don't have. I think my electrode is good, I'm just not getting my work. I will try what ever I can. Thanks for the help. My fine tune ohm control works, I have put a meter on the stater alternater and watched it drop and increase in voltage.

Sounds like an open in the stabilizer (choke) Z2 or bad connection into/out of as cruizer stated.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110