Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welding Trailer

Gary.....the table is permanant......it is definatly better than just an open area, the working height is great and with the 3/8 plate I have been able to really beat on it when needed to straighten or bend things.

Thumbs up welding trailer rig

very nice job.well thought out solid & organized. good pictures of the build, i especially like the table on the back. always nicer to stand up & work at a table than on your knees in the dirt. i would add a small jib crane on the back for lifting heavier items onto the table or trailer to save save your back . this profession takes it's toll on the body. thanks for sharing the photos.

Thinking I'll put a table on the back of mine. I was planning on a 24" strip of 1/2" plate on the back to beat on, I'll put that on the table. I also like the idea of a crane. Good thing I'm only at the frame phase!

Gary

You might want to consider adding trailer jacks to the rear to support it when not hitched to the truck. That back hoe bucket could have been on the table to work on instead of the ground. That's why you built the table to start with. Install another receiver hitch on the right side of the table and make a mount for your chopsaw to get it up off the ground for use. I made one for my welding table, and the table top helps support longer pieces for cutting. Make sure to recess it down so the saw table is level with the welding table for this, it's 3 1/4" for that Dewalt saw like mine. Just measure to insure it. I made mine 22.5"x24.5"x1/4" so there is room to turn it to make 45* miter cuts and still support the stock on the table top. You will find all kinds of optional tools to mount in the receiver hitches for different job requirements. Bench grinders, drill press, tubing benders, pipe vise, and many other possibilties. With a reciever hitch on each corner of the table or elswhere on the trailer you could have multiple accessories available at one time without having to keep changing them out as you need them. That way you can go from the chopsaw to the tubing bender to the vice and back and not keep adding and removing tools all day when you are continuously using each one.
    Nice trailer by the way, like the color. The additions I mentioned will only make it nicer to work with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bistineau; 05-29-2012 at 08:59 AM.

looks very nice... though if you spun the welder around it'd save you a lot of footsteps....
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Bistineau,
    I do have two removeable trailer jacks mounted on the rear sides. As you said this allows me to unhitch the trailer, and continue to work. Thanks for all the good comments
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ffbob101 View Post
    Here is a trailer I built to carry my Trailblazer 302. It is 6' x 10' with a 3" x 4.5 channel frame and 10 ga. on the deck. The bench on the back is 2' x 6' and has a 3/8" top. The vise is mounted in a 2" tube so that it can be removed or placed in the front of the bench. It rides on a 3500# axle and 15" tires. All the lights are recessed LED's. I am still making a few adjustments to how I am storing equipment, but all in all it is working out greaT!!
    Beautiful job.

Default Plans

Bretsk2500
    I do some road service type work and have the welder facing that way to keep out of traffic. A few extra steps is better than getting wacked by somebody driving and talking on their cellphone.

Working on a plan now to add a jib boom to load heavy items on the bench. Thanks for all your input!!
    Last edited by ffbob101; 06-28-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling