Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Newbie - Need help with Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ with MVP setup

I took a welding class a couple years ago and did a lot of stick welding and some MIG welding but we did not use Cylinders as we had piped in Argon/CO2.

Now I have this new 60 cubic foot Cylinder and I need to install the set of "Smith Argon and AR/CO2 mix regulator/flowgauge with hose" that came with the Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ with MVP.

The instructions that cover setup do not mention if you should use any type of sealant or teflon tape or anything when putting the Regulator/flowmeter onto the cylinder. I think I know that you are not suppose to get oil anywhere near any of this and also should not use soap on anything as it may contail oil.

But do you just screw the connector on hand tight and not use any sealant?
    Kind of like what you do on a BBQ gas grill?

Any other tips when setting up the 211 for use as GMAW with DCEP other than what is in the Owners manual?

Cool

You should not use teflon tape or sealant. I use an adjustable wrench to tighten enough to seal.

Note that the 211 Autoset is only for .030 and .035 wire. It does not work with .023.

You will enjoy using the 211. It is a great machine.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

I see after opening the box with the regulator that it has some SmithEquipemnt instructions.

It says NOT to use selant tape or lube on the threads. Check the threads, clean if needed with a cloth. And I think the Miller 211 instructions mentions to "Remove cap, stand toside of valves and open the valve slightly. Gas blows dust and dirt from the valve. Close Valve."

The Smith instructions say:

1. inspect for damage and free from dirt and grease
    2. Attach the regulator to the cylinder valve and secure tighlyusing a wrench
    3. Connect to the Operation System (I guess the hose in my case) a
    4. Turn the regulator adjusting screw counterclockwise until the adjusting screw turns freely(no spring load) or until the adjusting screw is against the mechanical stop. (This allows the regulator valve to close).
    5. Close the regulator outlet vale is one is used

WARNING Do not place yourself in front of or behind the regulator when opening cylinder. Place yourself with the cylinder between you and the regulator.

Read the rest of the instructions. There are 12 steps total about how to open it and use it and check for a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    You should not use teflon tape or sealant. I use an adjustable wrench to tighten enough to seal.

Note that the 211 Autoset is only for .030 and .035 wire. It does not work with .023.

You will enjoy using the 211. It is a great machine.

I know the Autoset only works with those diameter wires but I think it can be used with .023 if used in manual mode, correct? I was going to try it with .030 first anyways and on 115 volt.

Where are you located?
    You might want to add your City, State to your signature block. There may be a member close enough to help you get going safely and start welding good welds before you have to unlearn bad habits. I remember taking my first welder out of the box, and my neighbor and me looking at it and saying "Now what?".
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Quote Originally Posted by svwilbur View Post
    I know the Autoset only works with those diameter wires but I think it can be used with .023 if used in manual mode, correct? I was going to try it with .030 first anyways and on 115 volt.
    You got it- now go weld
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I have been running C02 on my new 211 with auto set on. Even with C02 its close enough to leave good bead for me, the splatter is not as bad as some of the older migs on C02.

i tried the auto set 1 time after i bought my 211 so i could say i at least tried it. useless function as far as i'm concerned. the machine has far greater potential if you leave the auto set off and learn to weld. i use ivory dish soap/water to check all my connections. no animal fats or oils in it. you only have to worry about the oil on oxy connections as the combination can/will create a major flash bang. no problem with other gases. even oily gloves can be disastrous when oxygen comes in contact with it.. have fun with your 211.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Thanks for all the input. I hope to try it out this weekend if I get a few other things out of the way first. The wind shredded my 3 year old canopy over my cars so I have to tend to that first. Wish I could afford a real car port.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmprods View Post
    i tried the auto set 1 time after i bought my 211 so i could say i at least tried it. useless function as far as i'm concerned. the machine has far greater potential if you leave the auto set off and learn to weld. i use ivory dish soap/water to check all my connections. no animal fats or oils in it. you only have to worry about the oil on oxy connections as the combination can/will create a major flash bang. no problem with other gases. even oily gloves can be disastrous when oxygen comes in contact with it.. have fun with your 211.
    Here, here! I also think that the Auto Set function is useless.
    I tried it once and NEVER used it again. The machine has much more capability without that feature.
    On the inside of the door is a settings guide for different situations.
    USE IT!!!!
    Remember, those settings are BASELINE and can be "tweaked".....
    When you want a slightly flatter bead, slightly decrease your feed speed.
    Don't just crank it down cause you'll get "burnback" and ruin a contact tip.
    Experiment with the settings and practice, practice, PRACTICE...
    You'll get the feel of the machine before you know it.
    Don't limit yourself to the auto set.
    Keep us all posted on your progress.
    Good luck!
    Measure twice, cut ONCE............

MillerMatic 211
    MillerMatic 251
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    ESAB O/A Equipment