Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Eastwood powder coating kit

I wanted to buy the dual voltage kit to powder coat small parts insted of spray paint but i do have a few questions
    Has anybody used this kit ?
    Is the coating tough?
    How is the metal preped?
    Any info would help Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EM Fab View Post
    I wanted to buy the dual voltage kit to powder coat small parts insted of spray paint but i do have a few questions
    Has anybody used this kit ?
    Is the coating tough?
    How is the metal preped?
    Any info would help Thanks
    Ive seen this kit and talked to people who have bought and used it. It will be an entry level kit and get you everything needed to start powdercoating minus an oven. You can usually buy a used electric oven from the local paper/craigslist for around $50 and you can powdercoat anything that will fit inside. To go bigger you will need to build a large oven and you will be looking at minimum $500 to do that or 2-3 times that to buy a premade large powdercoating oven.

The powdercoating is as tuff as you make it. Basically its like paint and if you dont prep it right it will flake off very easily. The best way to prep is with a bead blaster and take everything down to bare metal.

Powdercoat done right will be at least 10 times stronger than paint. Ive seen people drop the open end side of a wrench directly on powdercoat and you couldnt even tell. No dent, no chipping, nothing and that was on a motorcycle tank which is relatively thin gauge sheet metal.