Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Dig Control, or arc force

I've searched all over, and have yet to find a definitive tutorial on exactly how to use, and where to set the dig control on my Miller Maxstar 200 STR. Mainly been running 3/32 7018, but also 6010/6011. I know the dig should be set diggerently for these two variations, but do slight adjustments make much of any difference at all?

Would like to see a detailed treatise of the use of the dig control in SMAW.

I've never found one. Just set it according to what works for you. I have Lincoln Commander and Ranger engine drives,,,,, for air arc and 6010 rod I generally crank the arc force to max. For 7018, start about -4 to -6, adjust as necessary depending on the amps you are running. SS MIG, especially out of position, like to stiffen up the puddle a bit, start at +4 or +6 or so. No idea how Maxstar numbers match up with Lincoln numbers. My scales go from -10 to +10.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

My control goes from 0-100, I assume expressed as %. The 7018 I've been running between 10 and 20. It seems to run OK there. Higher settings flatten the bead.. Useful for thinner material, but not as pleasing to the eye. I've never used dig before, so I'm wondering if I'm correct.. I'd like to have a little more knowledge on what the control is actually doing, and if I'm in the ballpark.

Ask Andy himself explained this pretty comprehensively a few years ago. Do a search under his name, shouldn't be too hard to find it, he doesn't post up all that often, shouldn't be too hard to find. Look under "posts",,, not "threads started".
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Dig control is simply an arc shape characteristic setting. (kind of like the inductance control on some rigs) The lower the setting the flatter and more spread out your arc/bead will be. The higher the setting the thinner and more penetrating your arc/bead will be. Although, I have run different machines over the years that welded vice-versa or did nothing at all that I could discern with the naked eye. Hope this helps...........

Thanks for the replies, gents..

I searched ASKANDY's posts for an hour or more and couldn't come up with it. I'm not lazy.. I try, but search functions and I do not get on that well.
    I called a nice fella from Miller in the TIG department, and he gave me some good information and starting parameters. He did not give me the ins and outs of what the control does, or how it works, because I wouldn't understand the technical aspects anyway.
    I got the info I needed, and for those interested.. 7018 from 15-40%. 6010/6011 from 65-85% on the control.

I'll continue to search for Andy's post in the meantime..

Thanks again.

Found it, had to back into the search.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Control-vs-Dig

You might also check Lincoln's website, they might have a tutorial around somewhere. They have had the arc-force dial on far more machines, for far longer than Miller has. If you find something, post the link here. It's ok, they won't ban you for it.

That's a perfect explanation, and thanks for the link. I waded through twenty pages of old posts, but judging by the date, I must have just missed it.

I'll check through Lincoln's website, and report back here if I find anything of value..

Thanks again!

There's a good article that explains it here:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...rticle108.html