Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Weld repair bronze statue??

What's the best method to use to make a weld repair on a bronze statue? I haven't ever done one. looking for process, filler type input. About a 7 in crack, don't have a pic of it. Thanks, Rocky

Man, we're welders not mindreaders.

No information=no help.

Might want to get your hands on a copy of Lincoln's Procedure Handbook for Arc Welding. It's got a pretty good section on welding copper alloys.

First thing you need to determine is WHAT TYPE bronze you're dealing with.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Man, we're welders not mindreaders.

No information=no help.

Might want to get your hands on a copy of Lincoln's Procedure Handbook for Arc Welding. It's got a pretty good section on welding copper alloys.

First thing you need to determine is WHAT TYPE bronze you're dealing with.
    +1 on Sundown

if it is a non zinc bearing alloy I TIG weld it.... there have been a bunch of threads dealing with this question... do a search and take the time to read them.... (zinc bearing bronze/brasses tend to boil off noxious white smoke)

there is also a little info in the ESAB TIG book...

http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/TIG_handbook/591tig5_12.htm

(note: lots of places suggest DC for this but I prefer AC HF because it will jiggle the puddle and dislodge crud and impurities that seem to hide in art castings..

Also there is quite a bit of info available on the web... again.. a search will locate a wealth of knowledge..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I don't really have much info...all I know is that it's a statue of a lion and the crack is on its foot. It's still in place and not at my shop, just don't want to make a 100+ mile drive and not be prepared. I do know it's hollow. But with y'alls input I now know what to better search for. I have the Lincoln principles of arc welding book, but it wasn't much help(January 1957 edition!)

Have your customers get you in contact with the comany that poured the statue and all questions should be dissolved about the alloy mixture and that will lead you in the right path of the welding procedures JMO
    Miller AEAD-200LE
    Lincoln AC/DC tombstone
    Victor OC\AC flaming tomahawk
    Metabo's

Section 10 of the Lincoln Procedures manual gives about as much info as you're going to get. You've got to determine what base metal you're dealing with.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Until and unless you get a handle on the alloy you are working with.... you will be playing russian roulette with the repair process...
    ......... art castings tend to be mongrel pedigree... especially old ones, so you may have to do a little trial and error....

once you do get a handle on the general makeup of the casting, here is a filler selection guide that may be helpful....

http://www.brazing.com/products/Weld_copper/

getting a sound repair is just a part of the problem...... there is also color match of the parent to filler metal.... as well as restoring patina... among other things...

take your time and learn enough about the problem and process to do a good job...get a full understanding of the scope of work and the customers expectations.... if there is extra time and travel involved... charge accordingly....

if that is not possible... then RUN!!!! ..... unprepared you run the risk of severe damage to the sculpture as well as potentially huge monetary liability...

you have not given us much to work with... nor does it look like you have done much research yet... from what I am seeing thus far.... you may not be the right guy to attempt this repair at this time and with your level of knowledge and experience....

There is no shame in walking away from a job that is either outside your scope or appears to be potentially unprofitable.....
    Last edited by H80N; 05-16-2012 at 09:53 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Thank you all for the responses. This is the beginning of my research, and I haven't accepted the job yet. Told customer I needed to look into it. I will try and find out who did the casting. It's a large sculpture and I know I don't want to have to replace it!! There is another company that is gonna be refinishing the sculpture, they discovered the crack. Sorry for the lack of info, but that's all that was given to me. Maybe a road trip is in order!