Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Trailblazer 250G restoration project... no power

Hello everyone. I picked up a Miller Trailblazer 250G as a fixer upper.
    Serial # JG138621 Hours = 1800

Seller said he bought it several years ago and the welder/power wasn't working. He never got around to working on it and when I got it, the motor wouldn't crank.

Anyway, motor is now running great. New gas and new voltage regulator is all it needed. Engine idles nicely and when the switch is flipped, it revs to full power. I'm making no progress with the welder/generator. I'm getting no power with the welder or AC outlets.

Here's where I'm at:
    Flip on power switch and the panel LED lights, and the exciter board (I think that's what it is) LED lights up. It looks to be a new board compared to the other boards. The outer coating of the large capacitor on this board looks like it has melted a little. After cranking, both LED's go out.

Brushes look good; polished slip rings, resistance between slip rings looks good. Resistance between slip rings and ground = OL

Main capacitor looks new. Ohms test shows ohms slowly rising up to about 4 M

The one fuse on the panel looks good and all breakers are good. The other fuse is an inline fuse on a red wire which is disconnected. That loose wire, along with 2 loose black wires are on the left of the machine near the rectifiers.

AC voltage across the 2 black wires is .5 V at idle, and approx 2 V at full RPM. I'm assuming these 2 wires go to the SCR bridge since the 2 AC terminals on it have nothing attached.

It looks like 2 rectifiers below the SCR bridge. One of those has a terminal with nothing attached. I'm assuming the red wire w/ fuse attaches here. The red wire has no DC voltage on it.

One of these rectifiers has a loose wire leaving it and heads toward the bundle of wires coming from the generator. It ends with a male plug. Coming out of that bundle of wires from the generator, is 2 loose wires. One has a male plug, one has female plug.

The only manual I could find and reference is for models beginning w/ KA which are models with the AC option. Mine is DC only. I've attached a few pics of the back of the panel where the wires are loose.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

All those wires have numbers on them making it pretty easy to tell where they went by simply looking a an owners manual or the machines wiring diagram which should be on the inside of one of the covers.

**** cruizer, you're a freaking genius! Who would have thought to look at the back of the panel! < slapping self on head >

I've been looking at the only manual I've found online for the TB 250G and I knew it wasn't close.

Any chance you might have manuals for this old of a machine?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by firefight; 05-03-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Look above, under the "resources" tab. Entering your serial number, I get a manual dated October 1986, effective with serial number JG018501.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o426_mil.pdf
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

I had a problem with mine losing power. Working one minute then nothing. It was the exciter board & I was able to bypass it with millers help. Been working fine ever since. The exciter board was only used a couple years then they did away with it. I have the instructions on how to bypass it written down somewhere. If your interested let me know & I'll find them.

You can also call Miller engine drives as they will help you troubleshoot it.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    I had a problem with mine losing power. Working one minute then nothing. It was the exciter board & I was able to bypass it with millers help. Been working fine ever since. The exciter board was only used a couple years then they did away with it. I have the instructions on how to bypass it written down somewhere. If your interested let me know & I'll find them.

You can also call Miller engine drives as they will help you troubleshoot it.
    If you could find them that would be great!

I have all the wiring back where it belongs. Still no power and the LED on the exciter board remains lit. The manual says when the LED is lit, the excitation field is shutdown.

Am I correct in assuming, that until the exciter field is restored, no other trouble shooting can take place?

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Look above, under the "resources" tab. Entering your serial number, I get a manual dated October 1986, effective with serial number JG018501.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o426_mil.pdf
    Now I'm really feeling like a moron. I called myself checking the resources, that's where I got the WRONG manual from.

Thanks, that helps alot.