Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fabricator strikes out on his own

One of my goals in welding is to start my own business. I want to start a fabrication shop because I don't have a specific product in mind that I want to make, I just want to provide a service to people and larger companies by making products for them. I've been making small steps towards this goal but I realized that I do not know how to get customers; this is the most important thing. If I don't have customers, I can't make anything for anyone. What's the best way to get the word out that I'm willing to make stuff for people and companies? Any suggestions?

turbo38t Guest

www and the yellow pages....local bulletin boards...advertising on truck....advertise on place mats at local restaurants...
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverAstudent View Post
    One of my goals in welding is to start my own business. I want to start a fabrication shop because I don't have a specific product in mind that I want to make, I just want to provide a service to people and larger companies by making products for them. I've been making small steps towards this goal but I realized that I do not know how to get customers; this is the most important thing. If I don't have customers, I can't make anything for anyone. What's the best way to get the word out that I'm willing to make stuff for people and companies? Any suggestions?

Default Fabricator strikes out on his own

Hit the pavement and start introducing your self to local company's.
    Make a real good web site.

I know exactly how you feel, i also want to have my own business making performance parts for cars. chassis work, suspension, motor machining etc, Its a long term goal and i hope to get there some day. I imagine once you get a ball rolling and if you do quality work it will have a snowball effect and continue to grow, but will take time, If you are just trying to get into fabing for companies i think you could find sites on the internet where you bid for jobs, I have never done this but i do know of smaller companies that do, One of the sites they use is i believe mfg.com

Good luck to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by foreverAstudent View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Bring cash and a few large trucks and you can haul my shop and its products to your house ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Before starting a business and attempting to charge for your work.... make sure that your skills are advanced enough to produce work that both you and your customer will be proud of...

do not make the mistake of trying to learn on customers jobs...picking up the skills hit or miss as you go.... people will remember poor quality for a lifetime...

welding and fabrication entail "critical" weld joints and assemblies..... the failure of which can cause injury or death....

Take your time, learn and polish your skills... building a solid foundation on the front end will form a solid foundation for a lifetime.....

also...

invest in professional quality equipment and expect it to be a substantial cash outlay....

home center welders are not likely to produce consistant professional results.... nor are they likely to last in a real work environment..

just my 2cents worth...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Cool

And make sure you check with your local zoning before you start or they will be a royal pain in your a@@ for ever...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

You just need a good kick in the pants,,,,,
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

h8on just gave the best info that i have read on this forum dealing with start up shops, good advice

Ditto.