Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am using these http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/SGQ8-38540.html diamond wheels in a Dremel tool. I have tried 80 grit (too coarse), 100 (good for roughing a new tungsten or cleaning contamination) and 300 or 400 for final polish and touchup. They work great and the price is right. I will try and post a picture of my high dollar (about $20) sharpening machine later today.

And, for what it is worth, I us a purple Scotchbrite stripper disc in my drill press to put a final polish on the tungsten. It also removes any tarnish from previous use.

Ken

turbo38t Guest

Another excellent solution is to put the tungsten in a cordless drilland sharpen it on a benchtop vertical belt sander. Very consistent. Always sharpen the tungsten in the direction of travel, not perpendicular. Dave

Here, I hope, is a picture of my home made sharpener...

Well, the site refuses to show it. But anyhow the Dremel is a battery powered unit. It uses rechargeable AAs. The disks in the tool are 100 and 300 grit separated by a piece of cork gasket material. This prevents the two from rubbing together and damaging the diamond coating on the back side. The spare disks are 80 and 400 grit. The chuck, originally from a cordless drill I think, makes it easy to hold and rotate short or small diameter electrodes. I have done a considerable amount of sharpening and the disks seem to be holding up fine.

If I had to choose 2 I would go with the 100 and 400 grit disks.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taylorkh; 02-04-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: I have learned how to make an image show :-)

Here you go.

Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

When I was looking for a grinder, several people recommended this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...her-94071.html

I use this and it works really well and is cheap and quiet
    http://www.harborfreight.com/multipu...ner-99823.html

However next I'm getting one of these tungsten grinders, just can't decide if I want wall powered or battery powered!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIG-Welder-T...item20b393bc65

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USAWELD-Batt...item27c4f234f7

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    When I was looking for a grinder, several people recommended this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...her-94071.html
    I have one I bought with a coupon. I take it onsite with my Dynasty200. It gets the job done, but I prefer my belt sander hands down.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Default Bench Grinder Disk

Hi,

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so that I can grind some tungsten.

I have a spare grinder. I plan on replacing the existing wheel with one that I can dedicate to tungsten.

My question is this.... is 100 grit fine enough? I have done a quick search on Amazon and I don't see anything finer for a stone.

(Is there a good reference for fine diamond? I have seen a couple posts for used diamond plates; but, they require some sort of backing plate. I'm open to the idea; but, i want to make sure I buy everything I need.)

Thanks

Jeff

Default How ot Orient Tungsten

Hi,

I haven't had much time to get setup to dive into TIG.

I recently purchased two new wheels for a spare bench grinder that I have in the garage that will only be used for tungsten grinding. (One is 80 grit, the other 120.)

I hope the answer to this question isn't too obvious....

I understand the need to basically grind along the axis of the tungsten. I just can't visualize the best way to do this.

It's my understanding that I should use the side of the wheel. Is this correct? How about the orientation.... toward the direction of travel, or away from it?

For others who use a bench top grinder, do you leave the guards in place?

Maybe it's something that will become clear once I attempt a couple. Sometimes a little advice goes a long way.

Thanks

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2013 View Post
    My question is this.... is 100 grit fine enough? I have done a quick search on Amazon and I don't see anything finer for a stone.
    100 is perfect,
    use 80 on a new tungsten to shape, then finish with the 100.
    America, Clinging to our Guns and Religon since 1776.