Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TIG Tungsten Grinding

I have been using a 6" table grinder for my tungsten. Basically, this was how i learned to TIG weld. However, this week i have seen a major difference in my welds when I used a new wheel. So, I am wondering how much money I should invest into a better grinding system? I do not have a ton of money laying around to blow on this. Buy, if there is a HUGE quality improvement then I will need to weigh the pro's on cons.

I am mainly welding 7005 Aluminum Tubing with a Diversion 165. I do not weld a lot of hours in a month. Maybe 15 to 20 hours at best.

What is the best value for tungsten grinding?

Your advise is grearly appreciated

You can either buy a tungsten grinder which is most likely best but more money or a cheap bench grinder with a new wheel that you don't use for anything else.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    You can either buy a tungsten grinder which is most likely best but more money or a cheap bench grinder with a new wheel that you don't use for anything else.
    ^^^ This is what I have now. Is there a best grit or wheel? Bench with a diamond wheel etc....?

http://www.diamondground.com/piranha2tungstengrinders.html

Quote Originally Posted by ggodwin View Post
    ^^^ This is what I have now. Is there a best grit or wheel? Bench with a diamond wheel etc....?
    Diamond wheels are nice, some shops using grinding wheels will use two grits, a course and fine grit. If you just need to lightly dress the tungsten use the fine grit only.

Or use a medium to course grit to remove any contamination that might be on the tungsten, or to shape a point on a new tungsten, then use the diamond to put on a nice finish

Default TIG Tungsten Grinding

It does depend on how your grinding it, a stone with a fine grit would be better, but try to avoid grinding it with the side of the tungsten towards the stone as the grind marks will cause the arc to be more unstable and sort of spiral off the tungsten where as if it's straight likes with the tungsten front on to the wheel it will have a more stable and controllable cone

Here's what I use, lapidary diamond disks. You need a backing plate, but then you just stick these diamond disks on it. I mounted mine on a motor I already had, but you can use a grinder.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6-Diamon...item5d2fa98641

JD
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

if your using a gringing stone,it should be a fine stone. do not use it for regulr steel or anything else. change stones if you must?
    i notice that you say your welding aluminum. this is done with high frequency a.c.. the tungsten must form a ball .this is because using a.c. the current changes fron d.c.r.p to d.c.s.p. so do not use dc only. ac only without h.f. if your using steel brush to clean the welds, stop using it. use stainless only. this is because stainless will not fall into the weld and mateial as easy as steel. steel is carbon base aluminum is not. the two a diffenent metals,and have to be treated as such.
    the rest is up to you. amps,speed ,arc length.
    one last thing ,when welding aluminum use 100% pure tungsten,also 100% argon gas.. yes all that cost more . if you don't follow the right set up.it will cost a lot in repairs.do it righ,t cost a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by ilm48 View Post
    if your using a gringing stone,it should be a fine stone. do not use it for regulr steel or anything else. change stones if you must?
    i notice that you say your welding aluminum. this is done with high frequency a.c.. the tungsten must form a ball .this is because using a.c. the current changes fron d.c.r.p to d.c.s.p. so do not use dc only. ac only without h.f. if your using steel brush to clean the welds, stop using it. use stainless only. this is because stainless will not fall into the weld and mateial as easy as steel. steel is carbon base aluminum is not. the two a diffenent metals,and have to be treated as such.
    the rest is up to you. amps,speed ,arc length.
    one last thing ,when welding aluminum use 100% pure tungsten,also 100% argon gas.. yes all that cost more . if you don't follow the right set up.it will cost a lot in repairs.do it righ,t cost a lot less.
    If you are using your Diversion 165.. DO NOT use pure tungsten AND.... DO NOT ball it!!!!! disregard that advice.... it is wrong....!!!!

A 2% ceriated tungsten is recommended ground to a taper 2-1/2 Times
    Electrode Diameter lengthwise...

Inverter TIG machines require different tung selection and prep...

refer to figs 9-1 & 9-2 in the owners manual on tungsten...

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o232895g_mil.pdf

Also refer to resources referenced in your previous threads...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-your-tungsten

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Quote Originally Posted by chewinggum View Post
    Here's what I use, lapidary diamond disks. You need a backing plate, but then you just stick these diamond disks on it. I mounted mine on a motor I already had, but you can use a grinder.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6-Diamon...item5d2fa98641

JD
    How long do these last? I would like to use use a course and a fine on a bench grinder I will make a couple backers for them. Can you grind hard on them when you have a lot of trash on a tungsten? Thanks in advace for any info