Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default TIG Welding Aluminum [Reading your tungsten]

Folks, I am assuming that the look of your tungsten can tell welders a story. I assume that we can read the tip like and engine builder can read a spark plug in order to optimize your welds.

Do you know of a good resource on the internest where I can learn more about this?

Quote Originally Posted by ggodwin View Post
    Folks, I am assuming that the look of your tungsten can tell welders a story. I assume that we can read the tip like and engine builder can read a spark plug in order to optimize your welds.

Do you know of a good resource on the internest where I can learn more about this?
    Before worrying about "reading" your tung it might be best to understand how to choose and prep the proper tungsten to match what you are welding and type of welding machine..

here is a chapter out of the Miller TIG handbook worth reading and understanding

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Book_Chpt4.pdf

the Diamond Ground tung hanbook is worth studying as well..

http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2011.pdf

Too many people neglect the basics of Tungsten type, sizing and preparation... then they wonder about strange symtoms....

ALSO...

Here is a Visual guide to TIG bead problems...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-guide-graphic
    Last edited by H80N; 04-30-2012 at 12:20 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

looks like some good info in those links, Ill have to read those when i get some free time.

For the most part i just look for splits, This is very common on pure tungsten, Espicaily if running on the upper end of amps compared to size, I also make sure its clean, Pure gets contaiminated even if you dont touch anything, And i never weld with a dirty tungsten, if i hit it or even the lightest touch i stop and resharpen it, even cut that part off most the time. As far as types i think its alot of preference, I actually like 2% thoriated the best for aluminum, you can run more amps with them(size for size compared to pure) before they start splitting and resist contamination way more than pure. Also look for colors, if see any gold or blue your post flow is set to low and is losing sheild before it gets a chance to cool. Ive had good luck with the rare earth ones too (grey) If the radioactive thing bothers ya

also as H80N said, proper sharpening and prep is probly the most important, And always use one grinding wheel dedicated to tungsten, I also noticed when i used to break the tungsten to size, it causes it to split. i no longer do this, just use grinder to cut them off.

Tungsten choice and preparation varies between transformer and inverter machines....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I perfer to use a 120 grit sanding wheel, it leaves less lines then a grinder wheel would.

I would search these forums and read all about the color people use and WHY they use them. Everyone has their own opinions on tungsten, it is your job to figure out which one is best for you. You can't have someone teach you to weld, you must weld yourself to be taught.