Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Guns

Default Paint Guns

I usually finish my projects with Rustoleum paints and sometimes higher end Dupont finishes. The gun I use is an older Devilbiss siphon paint gun. I am interested in a new gun. Do any of you have suggestions for a better gun?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Hvlp

Cool

My next paint system will be an HLVP turbine airless...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    My next paint system will be an HLVP turbine airless...Bob
    Do you have any particular brands, models or features to look for?
    Thanks,
    Nick

The gun you have i probably ideal for that type of work, you will buy a new one and find out the old works just as good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    The gun you have i probably ideal for that type of work, you will buy a new one and find out the old works just as good.
    OK, those photos cracked me up. It's as if you took a picture of MY guns. So you don't think the new gravity fed HVLP guns would be much better?
    Nick

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Do you have any particular brands, models or features to look for?
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Mine would come from TP tools since its right up the road from me and i know what it can do as i have seen the cars they paint. I used an HLVP turbine for years when my dad had his shop and really miss it. I painted with an old Paasche air gun for years in my shop and its a big mess. Thats one reason i quit doing the iron work because i couldn't paint it properly and i have too many close neighbors with their cars out...Bob
    http://www.tptools.com/
    http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/hv...y_55_chevy.pdf
    http://www.tptools.com/lp2/HVLP_Bus_Restoration.html
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 04-28-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thanks for the links I appreciate the information.
    Nick

Besides owning many older well taken care of large and small Binks and Devilbiss guns that spray like a dream I added a HVLP gun to be "legal" in Kalifornia.
    All the HVLP guns I looked at had by law 10 psi at the tip or spray nozzle except one by C.A. Techologies in Utah. Wow a gun not made in China, Binks or Devilbiss went Asian long ago as well cheap knock off guns the parts interchange with Binks or Devilbiss, forgot which one.
    http://www.spraycat.com/New%20Techli...ales%20Lit.pdf
    Second great thing about C.A.T. guns is 43 psi input with 43 psi at the nozzle vs 10 psi allowing for better and finer atomization. Concentric air around the needle like other guns plus two air passages vs one on each side of needle not counting the flat fan spray air passages.
    I sprayed latex semi gloss paint with 2.2mm tip plus added 1.3mm & 1.5mm tips for basecoat clearcoat automotive finishes.
    Been very happy with this gun vs other brands i've borrowed and tested, hated those 10 psi at the nozzle guns. For some reason this C.A.T. gun is legal as a HVLP gun requiring a 4 hp compressor.
    They have a high end Jaugar series at twice the price having 100% stainless internally contacting paint products. I have the Techline series costing $187, same parts as Jaugar series.
    No money gain or connection with the company, always had great tech support from them.
    Last edited by biernut; 04-28-2012 at 10:39 PM.

There is probably better stuff thats for sure but the avg guy for limited work wouldnt notice much gain with a 6000$ welding machine vs a DC buzzer for home maintenance work, about the same to me. Something I do use is a small siphon touch up gun, really nice to be able to use small amounts of mixed paint, takes only a little to clean too.