Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Measure up one of those in the picture and build it.

They all look like modified boat trailers. Two still have the hand winch in place.

Quote Originally Posted by weekend welder View Post
    some picks of what I had in mind.
    Especially after seeing these pictures, I fail to see why this is even an issue.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by FernTJ View Post
    They all look like modified boat trailers. Two still have the hand winch in place.
    I would say the hand winch is to load the car on the trailer without using the engine. Ya gotta remember a dragster sometimes blows an engine during a race and can't be driven back on the trailer. Also with such a short trailer it's probably better/easier to control it so as not to overshoot the end of the trailer when loading. Probably not good to have part of the race car on the rear of the tow vehicle for the trip home.

I understand why the trailer builders left the winch on the boat trailer, to pull the car on. I still think those are boat trailers because the winches are mounted higher than would be ideal for a low dragster.

Winches are most likely fixed to the frame, at the height necessary to pull a drag-car onto a tilt-bed. For those who don't know, as the rear of a tilt bed goes down , the front surprisingly enough goes UP!!!!!

Winches are there for a reason, since any drag/race engine only has so many hours/minutes of running time available, you don't wanna p iss away run time just loading onto trailers.

None of these look to be modified boat trailers, boat trailers are normally 96" or 102" OD, these look much narrower, plus notice the COG of the trailers look suspiciously close to the COG of the load. Looks like the trailers were built for a single purpose use.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Please just build the trailer this weekend ,and post the pictures Monday.

I agree with the poster that stated it could be scary with only a single axle. With what you want to haul, I'd definitely go double axle. Also, it's law in PA that any trailer over 3000 gvw requires brakes. I've built several trailers here in PA, so I do know the laws.

If you're looking for a tilting trailer, why not go to a beaver tail design with ramps. Much less hassle than a tilting trailer, especially for your race car. An electric winch up front would help loading a disabled race car.

Default design I found on internet

I am Planning on brakes I never said I would not. A beaver tail design will not work as the ground clearance on my dragster is only 3 to 3 1/2 inches,trust me a tilt deck is what I want and need.

Attatched is a rendering I found on the net. It is shown with tandem axle, I will be using a single torsion axle 5200 lbs capacity with brakes.

Frank Aka The Weekend Welder
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can buy a brand new single axle Tracker trailer for a 20 foot pontoon boat.
    There are loads of heavy fiberglass bass boats running around on single axle trailers everyday.
    Single axle trailers manuever and roll very easily compared to tandem.
    That dragster won't weigh crap.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX