Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Miller welding sleeves

I was vertical mig welding yesterday on a trailer in my shop wearing a t-shirt, short leather gloves, and a pair of Miller Welding Sleeves - (INDURA® Cotton & Pigskin Leather), and a ball of molten slag landed on the cuff area that appears to be polyester. The result was a painful arm trashing and yelling. As you can see in the photos, the blob danced around a minute inside the cuff before I could remove it. I know I should have used longer welding gloves, but it was hot at the time. I wish they could have made the welding sleeves all leather with elastic in the end. I must re-evaluate my use of these sleeves...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic Reach
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller BlueStar 185DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Wellsaw Bandsaw

Evolution Metal Chopsaw

Default Miller welding sleeves

Yea no sympathy here burns are part of welding. I get burns like that through my leathers, it's part of welding.
    Kevin

Cool

Yup i get them everyday too and they have burned thru everything i wear or always find a small hole. Wait until you get one down your boot or dancing around in your ear and you can't do anything for either except wait it out. I caught a large piece of gas flux core slag on my lip yesterday and it still hurts today. Just part of welding...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

The short leather gloves is the problem, not the sleeves. With long gloves they will overlap the sleeves and protect you from this. The source of the sparks is usually above your elbow level and your arms are bent slightly upward while doing the welding. If the gloves overlap the welding sleeves the sparks will just roll off like water running off shingles on a roof. I work with long gloves and welding sleeves quite often and the only time that I have managed to burn my wrists is when reaching downward and welding. For this position I have learned to pull the sleeves
    over the gloves.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Welcome to welding!!! Those are minor burns compared to some that I've gotten. Welding in tight spots you're going to get them all the time. I've had blobs burn through the tongue on my boot and put 3rd degree burns on the top of my foot. It's all part of the job my friend.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default hmm

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Yup i get them everyday too and they have burned thru everything i wear or always find a small hole. Wait until you get one down your boot or dancing around in your ear and you can't do anything for either except wait it out. I caught a large piece of gas flux core slag on my lip yesterday and it still hurts today. Just part of welding...Bob
    ha was welding over head awhile back and a lil bb bounced of my lid and right in my ear canal luckily it was hot as **** and i was sweating. ear was full of it got lucky sounded like dropping a fresh weld in a bucket of water in stereo

i have this heart shaped burn on my right wrist the size the size of a golf ball, lying flat on my back stuck under my jeep welding 7018 over head, had the flu, tried to keep busy, then coughed, funny thing, on valentines day, 3rd degree burn, it made me think of what burn victoms go through, take it in stride

I know about this problem and welding sleeves can protect your hands in your welding machine work. There are many high quality safety gloves products available in the market with low price.

Well put Charlie.

i got an orange jacket thats really thick cotton. when i stick weld i just use drivers gloves. when i weld decking down i only use one glove. the galvanized sometimes explodes and gets down the glove is reason i only wear one. plus my stinger gets pretty warm. i run 302tb wide open welding decking. running 232 wire ill use regular welding gloves. it gets WARM