Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Chassis Radius bend question

I am in process of starting a new chassisbuild. The blue prints for the chassis call for 6 inch radius bends using 1 5/8tubing . The bender I will be using has a 7inch radius. Does anyone know offhand if just adding to overall length of the tubing. Starting bends inchsooner will obtain the proper finished result ? I also was thinking of maybere-drawing the print to scale to check design. Any thoughts ?

Thanks John

Cool

1/2" won't be enough. You need to use Pi 3.1416 to see how much you will need to add. Drawing it out on paper will give you a good idea...Bob
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...riments/pi.htm
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 04-28-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Cool

You will be .788 short on a 90* bend and if you were to bend a circle it would need to be 3.152 longer...Bob

Cool

One other thing is that most tube dies use a centerline radius so your circles (or 90's) will be bigger than the 7"...Bob

Thanks Bob
    The prints call for a 6" die radius . Most standard tube bender die I amfinding are 7" I believe I saw one from JD Squared that is 5.5 on 90. Looks like Ill be drawing!

Thanks again
    John

The die selection depends on the bender you are using. JD2 has sizes in that tubing range at 5.5", 6.5" and 7.5" CLR. JMR and Baileigh both offer 6" CLR dies.

What bender are you using?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bdllab View Post
    I am in process of starting a new chassisbuild. The blue prints for the chassis call for 6 inch radius bends using 1 5/8tubing . The bender I will be using has a 7inch radius. Does anyone know offhand if just adding to overall length of the tubing. Starting bends inchsooner will obtain the proper finished result ? I also was thinking of maybere-drawing the print to scale to check design. Any thoughts ?

Thanks John

For a 90 degree bend the 7 inch radius will start 1 inch closer and end 1 inch farther. If we are talking center line the 7 inch radius will use about 1.6 inches more tubing in the bend and 1 inch less for each straight leg for a net change of about .4 inches less tube. The larger radius will cut across the corner more so if the original 6 inch design counted on having room for something inside the frame it may not fit with the different radius.

If there is a tolerance on the print follow it. If not tell the customer that your standard radius tolerance is plus or minus 1 inch
    Last edited by FernTJ; 05-14-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Most bender/die manufacturers will supply a die to the radius you want with little or no upcharge. If they already offer a 5.5 & 7" die, it's no big deal to cut one for a 6" radius.

Mittler Bros. did one for my "small" tube hand bender (I'd like to get a nice selection of various radius dies for my Pro Tools one-shot, but $$$...).
    Randy Forbes
    Sports Cars Plus, LLC
    BMW M Coupe/Rdstr S p e c i a l i s t (weird censorship)
    Toledo, Ohio
    Spectrum 625
    Millermatic 175
    Dynasty 200DX
    www.spcarsplus.com/gallery

Here is a link to an easy method for figuring out bends on your own bender that is accurate and easy.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles2/tech/bendin_tube