Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Framing saw to cut through metal???

I'm thinking to get me a framing saw to cut some steel, I read that the framing saws with a Diablo steel blade are good. Up to which thickness I can use this method?

Homedepot's Ridgid 6 1/2" VS Harbor Freight 7 1/4" Chicago Electric?

Thanks

Wood cutting saws are really too fast for cutting metal. It will work, but the blade suffers with shorter life and doesn't cut as well at that speed. You should purchase a metal cutting saw. They have a lower blade speed and do the job well.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Default hmm

don't know about those two but a skill mag77 with a carbide tipped blade will cut right through 1/2inch ply and a steel sawhorse like butter don't ask how i know

This one is very nice

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by umahunter View Post
    don't know about those two but a skill mag77 with a carbide tipped blade will cut right through 1/2inch ply and a steel sawhorse like butter don't ask how i know
    I found an old SKIL SAW, will get a nice blade and try

What gauge or thickness are you cutting ? I bought the HF STEEL cutting circular saw and it is good. I don't need the big buck real saws so the HF it was. I got it for around 60.00 with coupon and it paid for its self already. I was going to buy the Milwaukee but it would have been almost 200.00 more. I used it for cutting 12 and 18 gauge plus 1/4" plate. I cannot complain. If you need it every day then go for a real steel cutting saw. good luck

Default hmm

not sure bout the power of that saw i was talking about one of these skill mag77 worm drive http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...E_3MUoxcmV4C5w

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    What gauge or thickness are you cutting ? I bought the HF STEEL cutting circular saw and it is good. I don't need the big buck real saws so the HF it was. I got it for around 60.00 with coupon and it paid for its self already. I was going to buy the Milwaukee but it would have been almost 200.00 more. I used it for cutting 12 and 18 gauge plus 1/4" plate. I cannot complain. If you need it every day then go for a real steel cutting saw. good luck
    Mostly 1/8", but want to do some skid plates for my Jeep and those will be 3/16" maybe 1/4" no bigger than that.

Default Steel cutting saw

I have the saw listed below, I cut 1/2" mild steel with it a lot. It will cut bigger but I haven't done it yet. The key is lock a straight edge on the edge for a guide so it doesn't bind. Blades are 85 buck or so and use the manfact recommended. It has saved me lots of time!!

Milwaukee 6370-21 13 Amp 8-Inch Metal Cutting Circular Saw.

1/8" and up is too thick for a wood circular saw. That being said, I have cut THOUSANDS of feet of 26ga steel sheeting with my makita 7 1/4 circular saw. If you can find them, the Tenryu metal cutting blades are much better and last longer than the steel demon. For wood though, every one of my saws has a red diablo blade on it.

For 1/8" up to 1 1/2" bar grating I use my Champion metal cutting saw. http://www.championcuttingtool.com/pdf/rs725.pdf

my only complaint is that is uses a blade with a weirdo 20mm arbor hole.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600