Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The deal Lonnie is that you haven't yet mastered out of position welds on round tubing. Your first question is enough in and of itself to see you don't yet have the experience for a chassis. You won't believe it but here are many, many others that came before you trying to do the same thing. You say you can't go more than 90* on piece of tubing. That, you will need to practice. Your teacher may have had that experience but at this point you don't. Not yet, anyway.

The couple of guys like Sundown (who certainly knows what he's doing) and Old Skool make good points, not on assumptions but on what you've actually posted to the thread. You asked the question in the first place when before starting this project, you should have known. Your choice of machine is a bit suspect as well. It's a fine machine, but this sort of work is usually done with a minimum of a 180 amp class machine. That's not to say you can't do it with the MM140 but it's not the best tool for the job. An MM211 or a 252 would be a better choice. Then you state you can't do out of position rounds very long. Nothing wrong with learning, but those three things alone make others with more experience question the wisdom of tackling such a project at this point.

Most of these projects never see th light of day anyway. The builders lose interest or get to the point they are over their head and it get abandoned. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see your project succeed but at this point you still have more learning to do.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Racer View Post
    . . . <SNIP> . . .

Most of these projects never see th light of day anyway. The builders lose interest or get to the point they are over their head and it get abandoned. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see your project succeed but at this point you still have more learning to do.

Good luck!
    Yup, I appreciate what a challenging task it is for sure because I've now just about done it. I'm closing in on a finish in the very near future. All the major structures are complete, but there is still some work to do.

I've just proceeded slowly and done lots and lots of test coupons as I've encountered new welding situations. The chassis is a custom version of a sports car based on the Lotus 7 roadster. I built a rotisserie to rotate the chassis as I did the final welding, which allowed me to turn almost all the welds into flat and horizontal welds. It's primarily RHS in 16 and 14 gauge.

Cheers,

Lonnie
    Jan-2013-Prog-1.jpgNov-4-2013-No1.jpgNov-4-2013-No2.jpgNov-4-2013-No3.jpg

Thumbs up

Lonnie

your Locost/Haynes chassis is looking GOOD..!!

what is your plan for engine and suspension donor..??

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Nice work. I applaud you for keeping at it and ignoring the critics. It seems you are doing nice work. And I am sure you have learned a lot over the last year or so. Are you following a set of plans or working from your own design?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Default Welding Tubes on Chassis - Need Strategy

I agree it is very nice work. I would also like to see how your welds have progressed (considering this is a welding forum not a car forum). Overall looking good.

That's funny.... it says "Motorsports"....

like the old "AskAndy" forum back years ago..... before it got split into 3 different...

BTW Lonnie pls keep us posted on your progress....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Smile Australian Miata Based Build

Here is an Australian build with a tremendous amount of good quality detail photos that you might find of interest.. lots and lots of good detail stuff..

http://www.locost.ozcarnut.com/html/chassis_photos.html

they also pay a lot more attention to crash protection and torsional ridgidity..

so they add a fair amount of additional bracing...
    Last edited by H80N; 01-31-2014 at 05:09 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Thumbs up

Lonnie

any news, progress and/or pics??...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200