Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Welding Tubes on Chassis - Need Strategy

I'm building a sports car chassis out of RHS and tubes in mild steel. I am a relatively new welder and using a Millermatic 140 (MIG) for the project.

I've gotten to the point where I need to weld some 0.75" x 16 gauge tubular cross braces into a larger structure of 1.5" x 1.0" 14 gauge RHS (photo below).

Front-Frame-Assembly.jpg

While this is my first real need to do this, I will be doing it many times over the project and I'd like to produce high quality welds I'll be proud of. I'm not worried about them being strong enough. I've got the penetration, etc. down and my practice welds are plenty strong. However, I'd like some help on getting the weld to look good and flow together. Intuitively, my approach is to do 4 welds where each one is 1/4 of the perimeter of the joint. I don't know if that's right or wrong. It's just what came to mind.

Also, the 4 segments don't overlap well and you can see each of the 4 welds clearly (examples below). I've seen much better on professional race cars, so I'm looking for some help and suggestions on how to make mine look good while remaining strong.

Also, while my samples below are at 90 and 15 degrees, there are quite a few that will be at 45 degrees too. How does one handle the narrow (tight) part of those 45 degree welds? Do you let the filler wire get long and close to the join or do you just try to build up a fillet and don't worry about getting in deep between the pieces?

Thanks,

Lonnie

PRACTICE EXAMPLES:

Weld-Sample-2.jpg

Weld-Sample-3.jpg
    Last edited by Lonnie-S; 04-23-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Kemppi ProCool ( coming soon)
    Cigweld TransMig 210se
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx

Attached Images Attached Images
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Kemppi ProCool ( coming soon)
    Cigweld TransMig 210se
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=30845

Start reading.

Follow the user ZTfab. Guy can weld mig like no ones business.
    Miller 330 BPA - Sold
    Miller 180SD Syncrowave - Sold
    Miller Aircrafter 330ST - Sold
    Miller 351 Syncrowave - Sold
    Miller CP-300
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller 135 Millermatic
    Miller Spectrum 250D (Now running strong!)

I would do those in 180 degree welds, ( 2 welds) Remember to never start or end on a tack. when tieing in to the next weld start in front of it to pre heat and burn back into the end of previous weld then proceed, i do almost like a half circle, burn into one toe then circle out to other toe then proceed welding, if you practice this too you can get it to burn in without the excessive build up. Practice doing 180's cause you will need to get used to rotating your wrist to keep up with proper work angles, remeber to plan ahead on where your tie ins will be so they will be the least visable(is what i do) as far as the sharper angle tubes i do a little of both, long arc and fill in the gap, i want to get in as deep as possible so i will let wire long arc a little but not enough to lose gas coverage and cause excessive splatter, another thing that helps me is i always start in the toughest, or hardest to view spot so it just gets more comftorable, hope this helps,

ps. welds look pretty darn good for a beginner!

Default Thanks!

Thank you to all who replied. I'll start following the thread mentioned.

And, thank you Spence for the very specific suggestions. I can see where 180s make sense. I do think I'll need some practice with the wrist action for 180s. I'm right handed and tend to feel welding from right to left (push) is most natural for me - at least currently. So far, using a push technique, I haven't been able to weld further than the 90 degrees or so of my current samples without the tip twisting out of position. I think this is a case of practice, practice, practice.

Also, I think I'm going to the local steel supplier and see if I can get some larger, scrap tubing to practice on. It just occurred to me that this would give me more of a chance to train my wrist to the task if I spread the process out over a larger geography while learning.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Let us know where this "sports car" will be operating so we can avoid the area.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Nice work. I applaud you for keeping at it and ignoring the critics. It seems you are doing nice work. And I am sure you have learned a lot over the last year or so. Are you following a set of plans or working from your own design?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Default Welding Tubes on Chassis - Need Strategy

I agree it is very nice work. I would also like to see how your welds have progressed (considering this is a welding forum not a car forum). Overall looking good.

That's funny.... it says "Motorsports"....

like the old "AskAndy" forum back years ago..... before it got split into 3 different...

BTW Lonnie pls keep us posted on your progress....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..