Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for the information. I just talked to a Miller sales rep just to get some information about the welder/generators. The sales rep did his best to talk me into a Bobcat 225 (I belive it was) for around $2,600. I mentioned the Hobart but he just kept coming back to the Bobcat 225, best in the county you know the pitch. I like Miller but to much money in this case. Going to sell my Millermatic 200 and put the money toward the Hobart.

MAC702 thanks for your help in this decision. I will let you know what I do.....steve

Thumbs up Bluestar 6000

I have a Miller Bluestar 6000. This is a great machine. They no longer call it this, but I believe the new model is basically the same thing. It will only supply 30Amps on the 220 outlet. It does have 6000 watts though. I run my 110v mig, a small contractors compressor when I need to run my plasma.

CTguy Guest

Lightbulb helpfull math

I hope I can add a little help in the form of some math, most generators list themselves by their surge and running watts, and most welders talk about Amps and voltage. You can figure out your compatability through the simple equation: Watts = volts X Amps

So a Millermatic 175 with a 220 voltage and a 20 amp draw would need a 4400 running (not surge) watt generator.

Remember surge amps are just to get things going if you try to run the surge rated draw off a generator for too long and you'll fry it all.

The equation also doesn't take into account and ressistance loss, so give yourself some "room" and buy a generator of greater capacity than exactly what the equation works out to.

PS the equation also works in reverse, I used to be in the professional lighting buisness and this is how we figured out how many lights we could plug in before tripping breakers Watts (total wattage of all lights on a circuit) divided by 110volts = the size circuit breaker that better be in the breaker pannel.

2000 (20 one hundred watt light bulbs in a strip light) / 110 volts = 18.18 amps so a 20 amp breaker should hold and allow for a little safety space.

Just to make your math a little more accurate, use 120V and 240V, as these are what these generators actually produce in most all cases.

Also, you shoot for 80% loading, so if you have 2000W available, you try to only load it to 1600W, as a general rule.

Default WHAT U TAKE 4 THE 200mm

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead
    Thanks for the information. I just talked to a Miller sales rep just to get some information about the welder/generators. The sales rep did his best to talk me into a Bobcat 225 (I belive it was) for around $2,600. I mentioned the Hobart but he just kept coming back to the Bobcat 225, best in the county you know the pitch. I like Miller but to much money in this case. Going to sell my Millermatic 200 and put the money toward the Hobart.

MAC702 thanks for your help in this decision. I will let you know what I do.....steve
    Hi, I was wondering what shape your MM200 is in and what is the least you would take for it?
    I've been looking for a good one that I can afford.
    Thanks, Farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

I would let it go for $700.00 it is in good shape. But shipping will kill you....

Cool Michael (diesel mechanic)

I just orderd an enine driven welder. I orderd the traailblazer 302. I am a diesel mechanic and I started doing services outside of my shop. After researching the Trailblazer 302 looks like the way to go for mobile welding.

Default Bobcat 225 for $2600 is a steal.

The Bobcat 225 is $3677.00 Miller List and selling for $2902 + change at Cyberweld.com. It is a wonderful generator/welder. It would run the MM200 no problem, with the correct plug. I would get the Bobcat and keep the MM 200 and sell the lincoln 225 especially if the Miller Rep is willing to sell the Bobcat at $2600.00, an absolute steal.

The portability of the MM200 with bottle, especially if larger than 120 cu. ft. would be problematic. Also, the use of MIG out in the field is a problem with any kind of wind blowing. I use a MM200 in the shop all the time and have to be very aware of the wind conditions outside, especially here in the Texas Panhandle. Shield gas and moving air do not mix. But if you are seting up a trailer to haul a welder(s) on you may also be hauling oxygen and accetylene as well, another bottle wouldn't be hard to accomodate.

The Bobcat 225 is already setup to run MIG/TIG and AC/DC Stick in its design. The mig option is really meant to be accomplished by use of a Suitcase feeder such as the 8VS or X-Treme 12VS, not plugging in a fully integrated machine as the Millermatic 200. The Bobcat does have the power to run the MM200, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

This of course is my $0.02.