Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Running Mig welder off a generator

I'm going to be making a small trailer and put my stick or Mig welder on the trailer. I also need a generator to run the welder. I seem to be working on a great deal of farm equipment lately and need to take the welder into the fields to do the work. Do I need a certain kind of generator to run a 220 welder. How many watts does the group suggest.

Also does anyone have plans for a small trailer or has any thoughts on the axil and wheel set up..

You forgot to tell us WHICH welders you want the ability to power... That's the most important part to consider.

Consider one of these instead, maybe:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/champion4500.html

Sorry about that, I will be using a Miller 200 or my Lincolin 225 (I think that's it). Both are 220 volt machines. I'm looking for a larger Miller stick welder to buy, but it will be a 220 volt machine.

Check your owner's manuals, or else I have to, to see what the amp draws are of your machines.

But roughly, assuming you want close to full power from these machines:

I'll assume you mean a Millermatic 200. This needs about a 50A 240V supply for full power. That's on the order of at least a 10kW generator, without doing any math in my head, to get MOST of that available.

Same with the Lincoln. I'll assume you meant the AC225 as that is a popular Stick machine.

You can power these machines from ANY generator that supplies 240V, but you'll be limited in output up to what the generator can supply in wattage.

What do you plan to need to weld mobile?

I did some work for a couple of friends who have a small farm near where I live. Since then I have had numerous calls from other farmer in my area who want equipment welded up. Some of the implements are pretty good size and difficult to move to my house for the repairs. If I build a trailer and can run a couple of different welders off a generator than I can make shorttime of the fix.

So since you need a generator anyway that can support a welding machine, why not get an engine-driven welding machine that doubles as a generator? The welding power will be more efficient and the whole package will be lighter since there won't be a transformer involved.

I thought about that, but the cost would be very expensive. I have been looking around for a good used one, but nothing yet. With a generator/welder I would rather go with a new one instead of taking a chance on an older one with a tired motor. I was considering selling the Millermatic 200 to make some extra cash to buy a new generator/welder.
    Last edited by gearhead; 06-27-2006 at 04:19 AM. Reason: lack of information

If you're going to tell us something is too expensive, you can help us out by telling us your budget.

The Hobart welder/generator I linked in post #2 costs $1200 brand new and shipped to your door with no sales tax.

Around the $1,500 mark, I was not aware that Hobart had one that cheap. I was looking at Miller or Lincolin...

For that size machine, the Hobart is basically the same thing as a Miller; you know they are the same parent company, right?

I think it solves both of your problems and leaves you a little money left over:
    Last edited by envano; 01-29-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Invalid Link