Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Any ideas/plans for a small wood stove?

Hey guys,

I have a 24'x24' garage that I do my welding projects and work on my truck in and I would like before next winter to have a lil heat. I figured since I have this brand new Millermatic 252 I would make one.

So I'm asking if you guys have any good ideas or plans for something like this. I have heard of people using a large diameter pipe or sheet metal. Any ideas would be great.

Cool

I built them for 10 years in my dads woodburner factory. Ours were 10Ga 24"x24"x30" and they could be used with the door on the end or on the long side. There also was a baffle in the top to use a blower if one was desired. Some had a baffle and a 1/4" plate top ___/---- cut similar to this to make it a little more fancy. I still have piles of the formed doors that are prob 15x20 if you want one for shipping. I have been wanting to make a parlor stove and prob will use 20" pipe satnding on a square ash box. Then i can use a pipe dome for the top with a welded up formed elbow and some steel gingerbread welded to the sides to dress it up a little...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Barrel Stove

MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Cool

I was looking at the Vogelzang box burners the other night in the same catalog. Had one of those when i was a kid...Bob

Default It might...

...be too big for his needs...?
    Just For Home Projects.

Might want to check with your local fire dept/Authority Having Jurisdiction AND your insurace carrier before either using a home built stove or a barrel stove.. LOTS of places don't allow barrel stoves (One town very near me will actually go in and remove it), and I know *I* have to tell my insurance carrier (State Farm) if I have a woodstove, and in my last place, the agent had to come out and inspect the installation.

to actually make a stove is pretty easy... it's the rest of the stuff that can be a PITA....
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    Might want to check with your local fire dept/Authority Having Jurisdiction AND your insurace carrier before either using a home built stove or a barrel stove.. LOTS of places don't allow barrel stoves (One town very near me will actually go in and remove it), and I know *I* have to tell my insurance carrier (State Farm) if I have a woodstove, and in my last place, the agent had to come out and inspect the installation.

to actually make a stove is pretty easy... it's the rest of the stuff that can be a PITA....
    YUP. Took mine out of my shop for the same reason and went with gas...Bob

Thanks guys, keep up with the good ideas, they help.

Thanks for the heads up on the insurance. I called them and asked about burning the garage down with my new welder, they say I'm covered but did ask if I had a wood stove.... At this time I don't so I'm in a bind I believe. I probably won't go with a barrel stove. I work for a sheet metal fab shop do I was thinking about using some 7 ga steel for a heavy stove shell and fire bricking the interior. What do you guys think???

i was going to build a stove for my shop, why not, i am a welder, i have a shop, enough plate and rod or wire to do this, sounds easy enough, but i am missing the most important part of this project, a UL approved sticker, if you ever had a fire, the insurance companies are all over this kind of stuff to find a way why not to pay

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWelding View Post
    Thanks guys, keep up with the good ideas, they help.

Thanks for the heads up on the insurance. I called them and asked about burning the garage down with my new welder, they say I'm covered but did ask if I had a wood stove.... At this time I don't so I'm in a bind I believe. I probably won't go with a barrel stove. I work for a sheet metal fab shop do I was thinking about using some 7 ga steel for a heavy stove shell and fire bricking the interior. What do you guys think???
    I have one that would work great sitting in the garage, rusting...full on house stove version with brick and thermometer. Front door and side load. Trust me, it would be worth your time if you are close...trade? (I need "stock" angle and plate.) I wouldn't need that much either, this thing is just in the way. I had planned on putting it in the basment and when I found what others did about Ins. I gave up on it.
    Just For Home Projects.