Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MC lift

a raising flat spot in the shop! i imagine you'll come up with more uses for that thing then you ever imagined. it would be nice to have detachable sides so you could put a garden tractor or such onto it as well.

is there a safety mechanism in case the hydraulics fail?

I've been building slip-on systems for this bike for a couple of years, there was a dyno shootout done back in 2010 that 2 of mine took top spots, one for hp, the other for torque. In stock trim, it made about 122 hp. At the shootout, my high one was 138 hp, the other made a smidge more torque at 82 ft/lbs, more than anything else out there except for the factory full race system. The factory did a tune for mine, it made 143 hp on their bike, the full system makes 145+ on an otherwise stock motor. This setup makes more power down low for sure and doesn't feel like it lost anything up top either, I started riding it again last Friday. I need to dyno it again and see where it's at now. It was skipping the front wheel in 4th & 5th this morning on the way to work. Don't ask how fast that was, I ain't tellin.

The lift is actually a fair bit bigger than I wanted and it's waaaay overbuilt. There is a lock mechanism for 2 different heights but it's pretty ugly looking. I welded it out of position, so I'm not super happy with it. It works though. I'm thinking of selling it since it's too large for what I really wanted. I have about $430-450 in materials in it, plus time which I don't really expect to get back out of it.

Illinois--Land of Multi-Convicted governors :(

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    It gets to the point where it won't go all the way vertical, anything more is just stressing the frame. It's way overbuilt for what I need but I figure if nothing else, I can sell it to a HD guy that wants a 8' lift. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't pick up 700+ lbs with any trouble. The other ones that are similar appear to be rated for 1000 lbs. I trust my welding, but I'm not an engineer, so I'm not going to say it's good for the 1000 lbs.

I trust it a LOT more than a HF lift though.
    Greetings D A, nice work on this lift. I would like to copy your version of a MC lift. One of my rides weighs 760# empty. In what way do you mean "stressing the frame"? What is it that you noticed? and what would you do to "correct" it? Any help is appreciated. Thx T-U-W

You could buy some plans from these guys - http://www.afabonline.com/cycle.htm

I built two of them for my son a few years ago.

Corm

Quote Originally Posted by Tricked-Up-Welding View Post
    Greetings D A, nice work on this lift. I would like to copy your version of a MC lift. One of my rides weighs 760# empty. In what way do you mean "stressing the frame"? What is it that you noticed? and what would you do to "correct" it? Any help is appreciated. Thx T-U-W
    The cross bar that the floor jack lifts is off set. When that bar is directly above the pivot point of the lift and more jack pressure will not raise the lift, it will only apply force to try and separate the frame. The design is somewhat limited by the lenght of your floor jack and how tall you want the lift to be when in the full down position. It looks like this design gets the bike up plenty high.