Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MC lift

Default MC lift

I finally decided I needed one of these for a project that's coming up shortly and didn't want to work on the ground any longer. Guess I'm getting old. Not completed yet, but it's getting there.

Looks nice. That diamond plate really dresses it up. What do you have going on it ??? Seems like a lot of work just to wash your dog !

Great work, did you make all the calculations for the lifting arms yourself ?

how much weight you do you expect to lift safely?

you must have a pricey dog ... or a nice bike on the making.

All I did was some rough calculations. It's longer than I need by quite a bit, I wasn't really thinking it through when I figured 8' x 2'. I probably should have made it about 6.5' instead. The length of the 4 arms is 35", actual lift is about 30" when all the way up. It gets to the point where it won't go all the way vertical, anything more is just stressing the frame. It's way overbuilt for what I need but I figure if nothing else, I can sell it to a HD guy that wants a 8' lift. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't pick up 700+ lbs with any trouble. The other ones that are similar appear to be rated for 1000 lbs. I trust my welding, but I'm not an engineer, so I'm not going to say it's good for the 1000 lbs.

Off the top of my head, the leverage point at the jack is about 8" from the end of the lift, the bar across the jack is 10" away from there. It's got about 3.5" clearance to slide the jack into place, it just barely fits like I wanted. The jacking point would be about 18" from the front end of the lift, maybe 17". Everything else just fell into place. I built it without any real "plans" other than a scratched out drawing to get a good idea of what materials I'd need.

My dog only weighs 65 lbs, but the bike is a bit more at 400 lbs. I'm planning on building a full race exhaust for it. The easy way to do that is pull the frame off the bike, exposing the motor and stock exhaust. I'll end up making at least 2 sets initially but probably more later, so I'll make a jig after the first set, then build off the jig and check to make sure it all fits right. Bike goes back together after that and then I'll try catching up with other work.

It still needs some work, bracing across the top to support the deck plate, support bars and stops, stuff like that. Functionally, it does what I expected. Btw, that diamond plate is freakin expensive. The sheet was $145 and it wasn't a full sheet either. All told, I guess it's at about $400 so far. I trust it a LOT more than a HF lift though.

Close enough to work on it now. Need to build a short ramp and a couple of other little things, maybe throw some paint at it. Load tested it to 700+ lbs.

very nice work, building it without plans shows the experience and time that you have devoted to the trade, kevin

As it sits now. Valve adjustment is done, waiting on some stainless tubing to show up that should have been here last week. I'm will be building a complete exhaust system for it.

Went from the small stock headers to this. The lift worked as planned, nothing fell over in the last 3 weeks it's been sitting here. Bike is back together, just need to build a muffler for it now.

Nice lift for what you are doing. I need to make one, but mine will lift from the bottom of the frame so both wheels are off the ground too.
    Did you do any base line performance testing first, 1/4 mile times, 0-60 times or the like? Just something to compare to when the mods are finished so you can see if the mods helped and by how much. That would be something nice to know. Be kinda bad to go thru all this and find out what you did didn't make any differance, or worse, that it detracted from what it was capable of to start with.