Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Sheet metal intake

Whats up guys, Just thought id share some pics of my project im working on now, I decided to make a sheetmetal intake for my car. This has really proven to be a challenge for me being the first one ive ever made but i am having fun and learning alot. This is a project im doing in school for my machining classes, Trying to learn how to remove metal instead of melting it together Ive been working on the intake runneres all weekend and will post more pics as i get it done, Wish the welds would of turned out better but my local ws company told me theres a helium shortage and i havnt been able to get any, Hopefully i can talk the owner into selling me a bottle cause it would be a great deal of help to me welding this up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spence648 View Post
    Wish the welds would of turned out better but my local ws company told me theres a helium shortage and i havnt been able to get any, Hopefully i can talk the owner into selling me a bottle cause it would be a great deal of help to me welding this up.
    Nice job on the intake? What engine? There is no Helium shortage in my town as all the dollar stores are selling tons of helium balloons...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

You will probly laugh at this but the motor is a sb ford 306, nothing fancy and by no means needs a sheet metal intake, was more of just a challange to see if i could build one and make some horsepower, The eldebrock i pulled off didnt line up for **** and was nothing i could do about it because the bolt holes were actually off from the ports. So one side was in the port and one side was out, Not sure if this was an eldebrock issue or if afr differs on port location (i have afr heads). The best ive got out of the car so far is an 11.63 im just trying to see if i can do better, As far as the helium goes thats just what they told me, He told me the car dealer ships were pissed because they would not sell them any helium at this time. Here is some more pics of the runners tacked on, I am almost allready dreading all the clean up work and grinding to get these runners matched to the ports and plenum at the right radius that ill be happy with. I tried to make the runners out of sheet metal, and actually got the shape i was looking for but could not repeat it accurately, and since this is a project for school i have to get it done so i decided to use pipe that i smashed at flange end to match port best i could and plan to do final clean up with a die grinder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spence648 View Post
    You will probly laugh at this but the motor is a sb ford 306,
    Thought so. I have a 5.0 sitting in my basement along two 429's and a pile of goodies like 6-71 superchargers. My boy has a 5.0 Mustang like yours and is building a 410 Windsor for it. I am old school i would have bolted in one of my 429's...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Looks like nice work....

keep us posted as you progress...

have you seen HOGANS???..... they do some neat stuff too..

here is a link..

http://hogansracingmanifolds.com/index.aspx

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Thumbs up Pure Artistry....

and then there is John Marcella's work...... just inspirational
    (borrowed the link from another thread.... visuals are stunning!!)....

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=83501

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...28&postcount=4

http://www.marcellamanifolds.net/images/Images.html
    Last edited by H80N; 04-17-2012 at 10:09 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Great job spence! For your first one you nailed it man! In Ny we have a helium shortage as well. The owner of my lws told me he can get it and couldn't give me a price on a mix but said trust me you wont like the price.

Default plenum

I agree nice work, i worry about the runners running lean on the outside cylinders as the draw of the manifold u built would work well with fuel injection, but im almost certian it will have a lean condtion with a carb on the outside and rich on the centers. Easiest way to confirm this is to to run the car at wot for a minute of so and check the headers with a temp gun. Also unless you really spin that motor ie over 8k, we have never bettar hp with anything other than a victor junior.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Very nice work, may I ask what the trick is to laying down a thicker bead? Bigger cup/filler?

I am new into tig welding and am only using a diversion 165.

play around with AC balance and AC frequency.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter