Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manhole Lids

Default Manhole Lids

I was asked if i could remove the center of a man hole lid (cut out) off a storm drainage and weld or fab up some type of grated "bubble" over the made opening. The problem is the small openings in the lid now 1" x 4" get covered up with weeds and dont allow for the water to enter. So we are lookng at making some type of arched grate that raises about 2' above the lid with at max. 4" x 4" openings. And NO these are not in the middle of the roadways they are through out the landscaping in a subdivision. Any ideas and can I weld to the cast iron if I preheat without any problems? Or just maybe they should take care of the weed issues! HA

Cool

Yup you can stick weld them with any good cast rod such as http://www.crownalloys.com/TechSheet..._Warning_1.pdf I use it all the time. Preheat is not needed for all cast iron rods and this rod is one of them...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default fix it

Tell them to fix the weed problem. Raising it is not gonna help

Default if you can let the weeds go with the flow...

just make a large hole in the middle of man-hole, a plate + threaded rod , nuts , washers and 4 buschings made of plumbing pipe and you're done.modif. M.H..jpg

Default Crown Alloys (aaetalmaster)

Aa metal master is dead on I live in Troy, MI 5 minutes away from crown alloys headquarters. They make sone of the best alloys, electrodes, and fikler metals arould for special aplication the **** works. (Side note favorite rod is crown 220m welds **** near anything better than butter)
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

I assume this is what I would call a storm drain grate and I will also assume that no heavy trucks or anything like that is driving on it.I'd be inclined to fab up a grate entirely out of steel rather than weld to the cast iron or if they'll pay for it, stainless. At the same time I agree with fitzyyy that the real problem is weeds and the grate will not likely solve the issue. They probably should just find a kid with a rake and a wheelbarrow. He could use the job!
    Meltedmetal

Default Enlarge Hole

Use a cut-off disc mounted an an angle grinder & cut a larger square or triangular hole in the manhole cover.

I recently did this to several old large cast iron pots being converted to planters. It worked like a charm.

Why would you tell them to control the weeds? If they want it raised then do it. I would roll up 1/2" round bar in rings & connect them to the manhole cover with 1/2" round bar uprights. Space them all so you have 4" openings so you wind up with a barrel shaped screen. No preheat needed. Top could be capped with a plate disc or the same pattern screen. You could also weld tabs to the bottom of your "screen" & bolt them to the manhole cover instead of welding.
    Last edited by MMW; 04-22-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Build a cylinder or barrel shaped screen but do not close in top -- it should also be grated. The U.S. Forest Service builds these types of screens or grates on their road ditches leading into culverts that go under the road. You want big brush and weeds to hang up on sides from water pouring through but you want top open should you get a big flow. If water rises very high huge amounts of water will fall through top opening.

Default like this...?

MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.