Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I will say that it its not easy for a beginner to tig around a 1/4" copper tube. You better be good.
    CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

yep, i imagine so. since i've never tigged before i don't assume any of it to be easy, but it can't hurt to try can it.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Dumb question, what's a brewing chiller ?? Does this mean that what goes through it is going to be consumed by humans ??? Intoxicating beverages ??
    If so you need to think about contamination. This would be a perfect process for PROPRESS FITTINGS and Cleaned and capped copper.
    leadfree soft solder is used in potable water systems all day every day at far less cost than propress fittings.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Quote Originally Posted by weld on View Post
    yep, i imagine so. since i've never tigged before i don't assume any of it to be easy, but it can't hurt to try can it.
    If you've never tigged before... I'd suggest getting some copper sheeting and practicing on that. otherwise you're just going to ruin a whole bunch of tube and fittings learning....

as far as reflowing an adjacent joint with solder.... I'm guessing a propane torch was used.... (not enough heat to get one side of the fitting up to temp before the other side) use mapp and wrap the otherside of the fitting with a rag. OR... you can prep the whole fitting and sweat it all to once.

sometimes welding isn't the solution....
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    leadfree soft solder is used in potable water systems all day every day at far less cost than propress fittings.
    Yes , I know, have been doing it for 40 years. I said propress and cleaned and capped copper for a more impressive clean results. This would be a leak free installation in the hands of a unexperienced person with instructions on propress usage. We have done many a job where propress was specified only because it is neat, clean,no solder build up on inside, and no worry about open flame. Those fittings really shine when polished.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    We have done many a job where propress was specified only because it is neat, clean,no solder build up on inside, and no worry about open flame. Those fittings really shine when polished.
    Unless we're taaking about fed or state gov't contracts.. we've been seeing less and less copper and far more PEX these days. We've only had a couple mechanical contractors that use propress frequently... The market in this area really has become too cutthroat... bid waaaaay too close to cost to be using them.

yes, they do look nice when polished.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Quote Originally Posted by weld on View Post
    Maybe I misunstood your comment; The joint leaked during use of the chiller from the burner being used not when soldering the joint. The reason for looking at TIG weld.
    -----------------------
    wait, what? the copper gets to over 700F during the use of this chiller with liquid flowing through it??????????
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    Unless we're taaking about fed or state gov't contracts.. we've been seeing less and less copper and far more PEX these days. We've only had a couple mechanical contractors that use propress frequently... The market in this area really has become too cutthroat... bid waaaaay too close to cost to be using them.

yes, they do look nice when polished.
    We have been doing a lot of work at Abbott Labs. It used to be all nitrogen purge and sil foss for air piping. Now, propress with cleaned and capped. They love it ! No inside residue or cleaning process required. The only pex we used has been in radiant heating install. Cut throat is a good way of putting it. we are union and have been blown away by some non union outfit. Some worked out well for us. They did such a piss poor job that they paid us to come and fix it. It was all schedule 10 SS. These guy could not tig. I never saw so many welds that were really bad. Gave us a lot of work. By the time we were done making it work it cost them more than if we would have had the job originally .

You guys need to read the whole thread. Your misunderstanding him like I was before.