Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Miller Elite helmet issues

Ok guys im not a big welder by trade but I do need to burn rod from time to tim and until today my miller elite helmet has been nothing but great. I went to weld up some CroMo 4130 tubing today and the issue of my helmet flickering from shade 8-9 and occasionally going back to the grinding shade and going back to the darkened shade but it wont stay consistent and ive run through everything i can think of I switched out the batteries with miller ones from the LWS ive put it out in the sun for a while to charge it ive cleaned the sensors and changed the plastic lens and so far no change in how it acts so im looking to you guys the experts is there something im missing or is it a warranty issue i bought it just over a year ago???
    Leblond Makino mills
    HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
    American Pacemaker lathe
    wells index mill
    hydrotel rebuilt
    syncrowave 250
    diversion 165
    Miller Elite Vintage USA

Default Miller Elite helmet issues

Have you tried the sensitivity adjustment?
    Kevin

May not be the answer you want to hear - Throw it as far as you can and buy a new helmet , just not a Miller. I went thru the same thing twice and to get them fixed cost more than a new hood. Local Airgas dealer said it is a common problem and not worth fixing for the cost. They are good hoods as long as they work .

My Miller Pro Hobby did about the same thing on Saturday. I thought the batteries were dead, changed them out, still it just kind of flickers a little. Mostly just dark.

Is there any kind of reset or something?

I hate to have to go buy a new helmet.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp rat View Post
    May not be the answer you want to hear - Throw it as far as you can and buy a new helmet , just not a Miller. I went thru the same thing twice and to get them fixed cost more than a new hood. Local Airgas dealer said it is a common problem and not worth fixing for the cost. They are good hoods as long as they work .
    The hood is a little more than a year old it has a 2 year warranty. Don't throw it get it fixed.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp rat View Post

yes I did try the reset button a few times but it is under warranty ill see what the LWS can do for me but if the miller helmet isn't up to spec for you and they wont fix mine what helmet would you recommend I get all I do is tig.
    Leblond Makino mills
    HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
    American Pacemaker lathe
    wells index mill
    hydrotel rebuilt
    syncrowave 250
    diversion 165
    Miller Elite Vintage USA

Speedglas has a good hood for low amp tig. Did you check contact points for battery( dirty or bent down ). Is it ok when welding high amps. Also try increasing delay time.

I Personally have used a arc-one helmet for two years now and never had a problem. But I have tried other helmets. And what I have found is if you are in a position were the sensors are being blocked or your sensitivity is not set right. Flickering occurs. I personally just use a regular non Auto dark hood for tig because it is nicer to have a large being area and also I have never found an auto dark hood that will work properly on tig.

Default Battery Issue...

It may very well turn out to be a battery issue..... I found out when I needed to replace the batts in my BWE..... that due to some quirks in the battery holder design... some batteries will not work reliably... giving intermittant problems that can drive you nuts.... maybe this thread will be helpful..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...g-Window-Elite

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

This was posted a while ago and the type of battery that should be used.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...1&d=1312392692