Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Putting together a quick reference guide

Hey there to all the long time welders on here. I'm currently in a pre-apprenticeship training program for welding, and I'm trying to put together a quick reference guide I can keep in a binder. Things such as references to proper shade settings for each type of welding, electrode information, stuff like that.

Currently, what I have is this:

- Standard welding symbols and their definitions
    - Metric/Imperial and Kelvin/Farenheit/Celcius conversion formulas for weight, length, temperature, volume, area, and sheet metal gages
    - Geometry formulas
    - Shade selecting guide
    - A PDF from CIGWeld that shows to the best of my knowledge, all standard electrodes used in welding and explains their codes
    - A cable selection guide for arc welding
    - Periodic Table of the Elements

I'm trying to find some source online with easy references to metal, with their melting points, physical properties, stuff like that. I may have to go to wikipedia and just pick out the useful information and make my own. Or if anyone has any other suggestions on what I may have missed, I'd appreciate it.

Here are a few more sources for your welding compendium…

Diamond Ground Tungsten Handbook

http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2011.pdf

Praxair Shielding Gas Selection Handbook

http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2011.pdf

Miller TIG Handbook

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/TIGhandbook/

fact of the matter is that there is quite a bit of info worth referencing in the Miller Resource/Skills section..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...g-your-skills/

there is a wealth of knowledge out there on the net… you will find more and more the longer you look..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Awesome, those are some good guides there. I have modules right now that cover the same sort of information, I'm mostly looking for diagram-type printables. Things that give me specific information on different types of material that you would need to research, stuff like that.

Essentially the point is to have a binder to reference to if I have questions about what a certain code on plans means, where and where not to use certain types of filler, stuff like that. I'm going to head out to a pub or something to study the last 2 modules before my test (Strangely enough, I do that better in a loud environment).

When I'm back I'll see what I can scrounge up, or maybe I'll hit Wikipedia and put together some pages of my own. Thanks again for those, I'll probably end up printing out some general guides like that - always handy.

Gonna be a heavy binder....

Welding these days is increasingly sophisticated.... encompasing , physics, metalurgy, chemistry, robotics, electrical & mechanical engineering etc.. etc...

there is just an incredible amount of depth to this field..................

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

For sure. I had no idea how complicated it was when I started, everything looks so simple when you think "It's melting metal together!", which is funny explaining to people why it's a lot more than that.

I'll add a few....
    This one falls under fabrication, it's a tube coping calculator
    http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

Here's one on stainless steel (and Duplex) grades (.pdf data sheets)
    http://www.outokumpu.com/en/Products...FUmR7Qod9XloSw

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Chris106 View Post
    For sure. I had no idea how complicated it was when I started, everything looks so simple when you think "It's melting metal together!", which is funny explaining to people why it's a lot more than that.
    Chris
    with the sheer volume of info available and required in the field.....much of it electronicly storable and retreivable..... maybe your "Binder" could be a notebook computer or netbook???... depending on your finances ... an older used machine... or..... a newer ruggedized netbook type...
    just a thought...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200