Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Got Tread Plate?

The last time I had to cap some tubing was on 2x2 1/8", used for vertical stakes on a trailer. I had some tread plate laying around a sheared 2x2 plates. Weld them on, grind them flush. Added a little bit of decorative touch, definitely not a factory touch. IMAG0024.jpg

I always cut a flat plate to cap. I will oversize it by a little bit, like a 1/16th both directions. I bevel the plate and tube end. Weld it making sure the plate is barely proud of the tube on all sides. Then when you grind the weld smooth with a flap disk you also grind the plate to the tubes shape.

use flat bar that is smaller than the square tube and weld it corner to corner there is less grinding that way

I like the novel idea to have the power supply mounted separately from the ram, using quick connectors. What other items do you attach to the hydraulic power supply? Just curious. Thanks.

Default end caps

Go and see welding tipsandtricks ther is a very good video about end caps in square steel tubing

Say your capping 2" square.

Cut the length of tube 2" longer than needed. Take a portaband and remove three sides of the 2 inches extra.

Now hammer the remaining tab over and weld around it. Grind and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky666 View Post
    Go and see welding tipsandtricks ther is a very good video about end caps in square steel tubing
    Not sure if this is the one u had in mind but. Here is the one I found. If it isn't what u found would u post your video

http://youtu.be/wNM6wTeUgyw