Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by apg1984 View Post
    its so frustrating.
    Yup i have a brand spanking new MM251 with a 15' gun and i hate it. If it was mine and not the companies i would trade the 15 footer in a minute. I weld in a small area and i can't always keep the lead straight...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Cool

this could be the problem because im running a 10 pound spool. Usually with the hard wire i run 30 pound spools. Am I supposed to have an adapter of some sort? the smaller spool just slides back and forth in the machine.
    There should be a large 2" id spring about 3" long to use with the small 10# spools. I have an extra one if you don't have it...Bob

Default drive wheels

I think the Knurled wheels are for a harder wire that
    i'm using. Would you suggest u-groove or v-groove?

Default Flux Cores getting me down...

There is a nub on the back of the spool holder, if the spool is not tight to the back it will free wheel and over run the rollers causing a birds nest. I would never run smooth rollers on flux core it will not run with consistent speed, you can not get the rollers tight enough on flux core with smooth rollers with out crushing it and making it out of shape, the reason they don't run smooth rollers on aluminum and flux core!!!

I have ran fc on my 252 using .035 wire with the u notched rollers and it works great, but from the sounds of it u definitely need the adaptor to use the 10 lb roll, the adapter is basically just a spacer too keep the roll snug to the wall of the machine so the roll can work as intended, I would strongly recommend checking the wire inlet guide, after a while the wire wears it out and it causes the birds nest effect, more so on fc and stainless, if you are using the plastic one that came with the machine I would recommend upgrading to the brass one

are you keeping the same distance from tip to work as with short arc, fc likes more of a stick out, from all of the fc that i have ran in the past, if i started it with a short stick out, it will burn into the tip, i used about 3/4" for a stick out, hope this helps, my experience was about a 27 years ago welding ships, not to sure if it has changed all that much

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Are your drive wheels knurled? I think smooth would be better...Bob
    I use v-groove knurled drive rolls for all flux core (with or without gas). It lets you use less tension on the rolls so as to not crush the wire.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I'm running 035 with a 15' miller lead. Are you suggesting i use a 045 liner with the 035 wire? i have my clamp as loose as it will go thats why i just dont see how its rats nesting so quick... I put a brand new liner in it when i switched to the flux. do you think the knurled wheels are pushing the wire to aggrsively. when i run mig its like you said it will slip and not tangle. its so frustrating.
    No not suggesting that at all. When I run .035 wire in my gun with the .045 liner I do have some problems. The .035 flux wire is not as strong as solid which is why it birdsnests. If you are welding say 1/8" & up material switch to .045. You would also need the correct size liner. In general terms with flux core you can step up a size over solid because there is less material since the wire is hollow. So if you would normally use .035 go to .045.

What happens is the wire sticks in the tip & the rolls keep pushing so it is birdsnest between the rolls & where it enters the gun. Make sure your wire guide, rolls etc. are all lined up correctly & the gun is as close to rolls as it can be. You can also try anti-spatter spray on your nozzle.

You also need the spacer to keep the roll of wire tight. It should be a spring but you can even use a pc. of pipe or pvc pipe cut to the right size.
    Last edited by MMW; 03-20-2012 at 06:33 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    I use v-groove knurled drive rolls for all flux core (with or without gas). It lets you use less tension on the rolls so as to not crush the wire.
    Well today the shop electrician added a longer ground from the 8'3" one that came on the machine. So that let me push the welder back so the gun was straight and i had zero problems it ran like it should have...Bob