Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Any 11 year old will to set up and use the Dynasty280 base model.

I still don't see how that will make it superior? As most everyone here isn't a beginner or hobby welder that is a moot point I would think. I'm sure that will be a good selling point for some HOWEVER for me why would I want to make welding any easier for someone to come along and yesterday they were flipping burgers and today they are taking business out of my door because they have NO CLUE what they are doing and as we all know in today's world people mostly shop price on everything. So this guy thinks he's a welder and starts taking in work at a price that anyone that's a real welder with an established shop and a skill set that knows the amount of prep work etc that's required to weld the job properly can't match. We end up with a lot of stuff out there improperly welded causing people to get hurt when it fails at the most inopertune time and place. That feature to me is BAD for the welding trade NOT GOOD ! Kinda like PVC pipe killed the plumbing trade because anyone with a hack saw and can of glue could do it now.. SAME THING! How many houses across the United States are improperly plumbed because of that fact alone? More than we can count. When the skill set was taken away to actually install the pipe and made where any 11 year old could do it the craft suffered!! Welding is no different.. If you're going to be welding for a living you should know what all those knobs and adjustments do. That's what makes a man or woman a professional at their craft! I realize Miller is doing this with the best of intentions but the end result will be the worst of outcomes! Just yesterday I was a short order cook and today I is a welder mentality will prevail from this type of improvement..

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12R View Post
    I still don't see how that will make it superior? As most everyone here isn't a beginner or hobby welder that is a moot point I would think. I'm sure that will be a good selling point for some HOWEVER for me why would I want to make welding any easier for someone to come along and yesterday they were flipping burgers and today they are taking business out of my door because they have NO CLUE what they are doing and as we all know in today's world people mostly shop price on everything. So this guy thinks he's a welder and starts taking in work at a price that anyone that's a real welder with an established shop and a skill set that knows the amount of prep work etc that's required to weld the job properly can't match. We end up with a lot of stuff out there improperly welded causing people to get hurt when it fails at the most inopertune time and place. That feature to me is BAD for the welding trade NOT GOOD ! Kinda like PVC pipe killed the plumbing trade because anyone with a hack saw and can of glue could do it now.. SAME THING! How many houses across the United States are improperly plumbed because of that fact alone? More than we can count. When the skill set was taken away to actually install the pipe and made where any 11 year old could do it the craft suffered!! Welding is no different.. If you're going to be welding for a living you should know what all those knobs and adjustments do. That's what makes a man or woman a professional at their craft! I realize Miller is doing this with the best of intentions but the end result will be the worst of outcomes! Just yesterday I was a short order cook and today I is a welder mentality will prevail from this type of improvement..
    I think you are looking at this the wrong way. It will not negate all the sweat you put into learning the trade, it will bring you the recognition you deserve. What the newbie will get is a quick start, but will not get the technique and years of trial and error you and I have gone through. And maybe when the newbie exhausts his talents, he will come to you to bail him out.

I only see positive things comming from this. I am quite excited by the serial port technology. If apple came out with this model, they may call it the IWELDER.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. It will not negate all the sweat you put into learning the trade, it will bring you the recognition you deserve. What the newbie will get is a quick start, but will not get the technique and years of trial and error you and I have gone through. And maybe when the newbie exhausts his talents, he will come to you to bail him out.

I only see positive things comming from this. I am quite excited by the serial port technology. If apple came out with this model, they may call it the IWELDER.
    I have several concerns on this topic. Not the least of which is parts BREAKING and people becoming DEAD or seriously injured because they didn't have enough knowledge to spot some moron with a little vocabulary and a fancy new machine that will provide him just enough help to cob someone's trailer hitch draw bar together as they head down the road and kill someone's family when it breaks. It's not the seasoned contractor that's going to get hurt in these situations because most of them will have someone overseeing a project that will put a stop to junk before it happens that's why we have to test onto a new job site as everyone knows. It's the person shopping Craigs List for something that's going to get hurt because these manufactures are getting so greedy that they figure the simpler they make the units to use the more they will sell WITHOUT ANY RESPECT for the years of work we have all put into becoming professionals at this craft. If the hobby guys stay with their hobbies it's all good but they don't. Perhaps I have just seen this type thing too many times in my business. You hire a guy and show him 1/20th what he needs to know and next week he's opening up a shop claiming to be a professional at a craft that he hasn't been doing 6 months!

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    Where is the new Dynasty 280DX and what is the price? I have the 200DX, I need more power. Do I just get the 350 or wait and see the price on the 280? It's March, where is it?
    Kevin
    Kevin, I would get pricing on the 350 now. You will have all the features of the 200 plus some. Best thing about the 350 is the power increase and 9 setting memories.

I sent you a PM.

Terry

I just got the Dynasty 350 and what a welder it is. I just ran a few Passes on some 1/2" aluminum using the adjustable EP/EN and words can't describe my amazement.
    Thanks for the advice Terry.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    I just got the Dynasty 350 and what a welder it is. I just ran a few Passes on some 1/2" aluminum using the adjustable EP/EN and words can't describe my amazement.
    Thanks for the advice Terry.
    Kevin
    Glad you like it.

But actually I goofed. You have 18 programs. 9 for AC, 9 for DC.

Miller Dynasty700DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw

I'm with Gunner, at least on his general complaint (I don't know enough to say anything about THIS machine). The modern age sees WAAAY too much dumbing-down of products, endlessly adding "features" that ostensibly make them "user-friendly" but with the unfortunate side-effect that the products must therefore be more mechanically and/or electrically complex. This process has been going on for years with automobiles, to the point now that you can hardly repair your own new car . . . which because of its complexity is prone to breaking down in ways that have even factory engineers scratching their heads.

Of course, I am such an extremist on this, such an advocate of mechanical simplicity, that I thought the automatic choke was a stupid, trouble-prone, unnecessary invention. And my TIG machine is an elderly Lincoln Idealarc 250TIG/250, not even with square-wave, just a big dumb plowhorse. I'm just a crank.

. . . but if this machine ever hits the market and goes a year in the shops of guys like y'all without too many issues, I sure will be tempted . . .

Man!!!!!

When is this model coming out!!!!!! I have a big fat wallet and nobody can tell me when the 280 will be out. I am starting wonder if it will ever come out.

Little birdy says pushed back to at least Thanksgiving now.

Miller Dynasty700DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw

I know the feeling.
    Finally decided I could care less. With the late arrival, the rumored high price and the lack of the 120v, I decided against waiting any longer.
    Bought a new cooler for my 200 and plan running it till it dies!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

anyone know when its is coming out this is kinda what i am lookling for somthing between the 200 and 350 but don't want to buy a 300 so this would be sweet

whats the cost on this new 280 dx? first i ever heard of it. thanks.

edit: just read the whole thread.....for that amount of money ill stick with my 200dx i paid $1800 for with a 2 year warranty. as for the 80 amps......helium, and pre-heating can cover that.
    Last edited by loolagigi; 12-08-2012 at 06:11 PM.