Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Syncrowave 500 on its side?

Hi. This is my first post. I am getting ready to go pick up my first big welder, a syncrowave 500.

I found the weight(!) and dimensions easily enough. I know that I can put it in the back of a pickup.

I want to know if it can lay it on its side in the back of a full size station wagon without hurting anything inside the welder.

I know there are concerns about the car's suspension and keeping the welder out of the dash in the event of a sudden stop, those are separate issues.

Thanks for your advice!
    -mouse!

That beast was not meant to be "shipped" on it's side however, if you lay it down gently and slide it in that soft sprung station wagon, it should be just fine for a short trip.

Andy

Default 887lbs!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mouse! View Post
    Hi. This is my first post. I am getting ready to go pick up my first big welder, a syncrowave 500.

I found the weight(!) and dimensions easily enough. I know that I can put it in the back of a pickup.

I want to know if it can lay it on its side in the back of a full size station wagon without hurting anything inside the welder.

I know there are concerns about the car's suspension and keeping the welder out of the dash in the event of a sudden stop, those are separate issues.

Thanks for your advice!
    -mouse!
    if you are going to put it in a wagon... I sure hope it is a suburban or other critter with some load capacity..... that 887lbs would squish most compact wagons.... I can see no problem in laying it down as long as all the dials, levers and controls are facing up..... I would lay down a piece of plywood to spread the load out on the vehicle floor.... for fear of collapsing through the tin floor into spare tire well etc.... that is one very heavy welder... at 887lbs...!!! very nearly a half ton...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Sorry Andy... we must have posted at nearly the same time....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Smile

Thanks, guys!

Now that I know it should not hurt the welder it is worth looking into what I would have to do to the car to make it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by mouse! View Post
    Thanks, guys!

Now that I know it should not hurt the welder it is worth looking into what I would have to do to the car to make it safe.
    You could look into removing the rear passenger seat and standing it upright in that position to haul it, in addition to laying it down in the back. Just something else to think about. Most station wagons have the cargo area behind the rear axle, so that might not be a good location for that much weight. Could cause fishtailing problems in a turn. Also makes the front wheels lighter on the ground which reduces turning force in the front. The seat area may be better as it keeps the weight between the axles. Most seat bottoms are easily removed and reinstalled, usually with no tools involved.

I'd try to work out free delivery as part of the purchase.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

How much is a day rental of a cargo van or pickup truck?

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE

Where are you located ? Where is machine ? There maybe a member that could help. What about a small trailer ? That sounds like a lot of screwing around with the wagon. 3/4" plywood and pipe rollers would make it easier but need to be chalked. What you gonna use to lift it to load and unload ?

That's what you call a guy on a mission! I've already shown up at a wood mill and had 4 cypress columns (12"x12"x12') placed in back of a 4door Yukon. The manager almost stroked out when I told him where I needed them placed(using a fork lift). They made it home though. Unloading was fun!! Good Luck guy, I've been there. Ja

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools