Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Weld Al with a stick welder

I checked out a Arc welding book at the library and it has a technique for welding Al with a stick. I still have to buy the rods but can I be successful with an AC machine. It gives the directions (Don't weave the electrode, scratch to start, and keep a short arc) but says will work best with a DC machine. Does that eliminate my machine or just not as good welds. I am just talking about learning here, not welding on a trailer or anything important.

Cool

Yes you need a DC machine. I welded alot with stick and its fine for castings but sucks for pretty much everything else you want to look nice. Unless you just give some little tacks...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I've done it to practice and be ready for an emergency job with it. I've not tried it on AC, but with as difficult as it is, DCEP was tough enough.

I would never recommend or use the SMAW process for welding aluminum on purpose. But I keep the rods around, just in case all else fails on something.

I threw all my aluminum SMAW rods in the garbage and I hope someone I don't like finds them.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

I nearly bought the electrodes but chickened-out when quoted $19 /lb. I have never welded Al with any weldor. I just wanted to try something new. I assume mig is the medium of choice? Thanks.

Pulsed mig [thin], or tig is best for aluminum. I use tig on everything thin and pulsed mig on thicker stuff. I didn't have much luck with stick for aluminum. Somebody must or they wouldn't sell them.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]