Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Heres a pic of one i built a few years ago. Its got a 30 ton cylinder on it and nothing has budged a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Miller Syncrowave 180
    Millermatic 251
    Thermal Dynamics 51 Plasma
    Wolfpac 175
    Etc.

Good, certainly well beyond sufficient.

That's a proper beam!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpperCanadaTree View Post
    Heres a pic of one i built a few years ago. Its got a 30 ton cylinder on it and nothing has budged a bit.

I'd heat it up, use a chain and pull it with the hyd cylinder. But throw an old beach towel or bed sheet over the middle of the chain. If the chain breaks, the towel will dampen any recoil. Also, if you are worried, attach a small rope to the hyd valve so you can stand out of harms way. If you break the chain it isnt anywhere hot enough.
    Thanks, I didn't know about the use of towels etc.. for dampening the break. I tried the cylinder method using a 12' pole but it didn't budge.

We just got done heating it up w/ oxy + acet + rosebud tip, with a come-along and sledge hammer. It was out 1.25" and we got it back .25" after a lot of effort. Nothing was working so we quenched the inside of it with water and it sucked back over. It ain't perfect but I can work with it or cut the ****ed thing off and start over.

how about something like this.

IMG_2041.jpg
    IBEW electrican 26 yrs

That looks amazingly like my wood splitter.... My uncle built it back in the mid 70's and it still runs strong to this day....

If the OP's splitter was mine... I'd just cut off the backstop plate and weld on a stub beam of similar size to the main beam. problem solved.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Quote Originally Posted by rvpc View Post
    how about something like this.

IMG_2041.jpg
    Yes, exactly, there is no reason the plate couldnt be cut and welded if need be.

Personally I would gouge out the face of the plate, place a couple good BFH swings til its where i want it and weld solid. Then take a couple semi circle pieces "the length of the plate" and weld them solid on the back.