Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default log splitter backstop failure, need help w/ fix ideas

Hi,

The backstop has deflected approx 1- 1/4" and I need to remedy it. Bracing is needed but where? The backstop is 3/4' of unknown grade.

The cylinder is a 5" dia. with 2.5'' ram so it's exerting a lot of force. I think the backstop was too high to begin with and along with a powerful cylinder and large wedge was too much.

I'll bend it back using retracting force and a HEAVY chain but then what?

I suppose reducing the height of the backstop and making a more efficient wedge that's lower will help keep it from happening again. No, I did not make this. The wedge is sharp.

ANY ideas would greatly be appreciated.

*The backstop is 10" high (measured from the top of the i-beam) and 11.5" wide.
    *the wedge is 10" high

IMG_2919.jpgIMG_2916.jpg

I think you have just demonstrated why most log splitters have a fixed wedge and a flat plate on the ram.

Weld the wedge to the end of the I-beam and put a flat plate on the ram.

Tom

What you describe is how I prefer to make them. I am looking for a bracing solution as I am tired of spending money.

Thank You

Here's how I made my first splitter...
    IMG_1849-2.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
    I think you have just demonstrated why most log splitters have a fixed wedge and a flat plate on the ram.

Weld the wedge to the end of the I-beam and put a flat plate on the ram.

Tom

If you value your time, it would be cheaper to fix it right.

I assume you have a welder and you are looking for a welding solutuion, so I guess you could try welding some plates perpendicular the back of the backstop. Might be more work than just correcting the design flaw.

Is that thing on wheels with a hitch? Maybe just use your truck to back it up tight to sturdy tree.

Tom

P.S. - I believe your first splitter meets the criteria of the "form follows function" rule. I like it!
    Last edited by flathead4; 03-09-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me. I am rather upset about it. Had I just built it the way I wanted to I wouldn't be having this problem- wife intervention gone wrong.

It's on Harbor freight furniture dollies at the moment (again, sick of spending money) and will never be towable. I don't want to loan it or take it anywhere and it fits VERY nicely into my garage as configured.

The first splitter was the best but I was forever tripping over it and feared conking my head on the garage floor!

Here's what she looks like with the power supply... IMG_8864.jpg

I haven't made a decision as to how to fix it, ponder, ponder and more ponder

Weld a plate perpendicular to the back of the flat plate running top to bottom of plate

I would but cannot straighten the backplate.

Quote Originally Posted by PortlandGuy View Post
    - wife intervention gone wrong.

Here's what she looks like with the power supply... IMG_8864.jpg

I haven't made a decision as to how to fix it, ponder, ponder and more ponder
    I was expecting to see a pic of your wife and her power supply, as it must be pretty powerful to get you to go against your better judgement and change your intended design.
    To straighten the backstop, try a rosebud torch and a really BFH. Then you can add the reinforcing steel behind it. But your still better off putting the wedge on the beam and the plate on the cylinder like you were going to do it first. Just don't tell the wife until it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by PortlandGuy View Post
    I would but cannot straighten the backplate.
    Sheesh, you have a cylinder right there. Loop a chain over the beam and hook it to itself, come out under the plate, behind the plate, over the plate, to the cylinder. Note: at least a 5/16 grade 70 chain, not hardware store chain. Pull back, then hit with a 12# to 24# sledge on the back side. Repeat as many times as necessary. Nothing major wrong with your design, just that the back-plate needs to be stiffer.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Oh, and I'll add, no heat. Unless you want kinks.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....