Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Lamp

Default Chain Lamp

One night while semi-asleep I knocked the lamp off my bedside table, sending it to the floor and breaking it into several pieces. I couldn't weld it back together so I made one that I could weld if it ever broke. I used a piece of chain and wrapped it around a pipe and welded it to make the base. Then I wrapped the rest around a 2x2 and welded all the links together. I had to add the 1/4" rods to the base because it was unstable after welding, this provided the needed stability. I used the socket and cord from the broken lamp to wire up the new one and then painted all of it. I used my MM140 and fluxcore wire to make this. I think some of y'all might want to build something like this for your self or somebody you know, or maybe make several.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, i will say nice job ! Guess everybody saw it on the WELDING WEB FORUM.

It is still neat !!! You gonna make a floor model ????

I have been thinking about it. Maybe a floor to ceiling type, with multiple lamp sockets at different heights. If I do I will probably make two of the same design and put one on each side of a set of windows in the living room. These could be secured to the floor and a ceiling joist so they couldn't get knocked over. And maybe make a shelf bracket on each one to hold some of the ole lady's dust catchers.
    I just thought I would post over here too, in case there are some members that don't know about WW yet.

good thinking. I do the same posting in multiple sites like others do on them. It's amazing the ideas people come up with. I might just do something with some of the chain I have too. There was a post I saw years ago for a mailbox. The guy used ANCHOR CHAIN!!! REAL BIG LINKS !!!!! I mean he had to use a backhoe or engine hoist just to move it. Links looked like 8" or 10" long. Huge.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    good thinking. I do the same posting in multiple sites like others do on them. It's amazing the ideas people come up with. I might just do something with some of the chain I have too. There was a post I saw years ago for a mailbox. The guy used ANCHOR CHAIN!!! REAL BIG LINKS !!!!! I mean he had to use a backhoe or engine hoist just to move it. Links looked like 8" or 10" long. Huge.
    For anchor chains, those are REAL TINY. I've seen anchor chains that the links were about EIGHT FEET, yes FEET long. This was on the U.S.S. Constellation, a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, now that's a HUGE chain. The diameter of the link was like 2 feet across the steel. I don't think the floor in my house would support a lamp made out of one of those, I'm not sure the ground out in the yard would support it without it sinking in quite a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    For anchor chains, those are REAL TINY. I've seen anchor chains that the links were about EIGHT FEET, yes FEET long. This was on the U.S.S. Constellation, a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, now that's a HUGE chain. The diameter of the link was like 2 feet across the steel. I don't think the floor in my house would support a lamp made out of one of those, I'm not sure the ground out in the yard would support it without it sinking in quite a ways.
    There was a old video of actual footage of those huge chain links being forged by hand on one of these forums. It was awesome, guys swinging sledge hammers hoping that the head wouldn't fly off.

Default ????????

howdid you get the wire throught the chain i might do this aas a project for my metals class

Quote Originally Posted by migkid View Post
    howdid you get the wire throught the chain i might do this aas a project for my metals class
    migkid - just thread the lamp wire through the chain links - the picture is blurry but if you look closely you can see some of it. thread it tightly to the chain on the 'inside' side of the links and it'll look great.

when I was a teenager a guy who worked at a gas station with me offered to sell me a 60 something Nova for like - $1,500 ...was in the late 80's. my dad wouldn't allow me to have that given the power AND that I didn't even have my license (prob. saved my life) - ANYway - it had a Chain steering wheel - is the point. hilarious...it EVEN had a footprint gas pedal...haha....given - this guy was a spacecadet who just 'got out' for something or other, and eventually - went back in...but - I was thinking of all the hilarious things you could do w/chain - it's like freezing a rope!

nice work on the lamp - and what do you mean "if you break it"....IF you break THAT - you need to post the pictures here AND explain how your sleep drove a front end loader into your bedroom TO break it! lol
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    migkid - just thread the lamp wire through the chain links - the picture is blurry but if you look closely you can see some of it. thread it tightly to the chain on the 'inside' side of the links and it'll look great.

nice work on the lamp - and what do you mean "if you break it"....IF you break THAT - you need to post the pictures here AND explain how your sleep drove a front end loader into your bedroom TO break it! lol
    Yep, you got it right. Just thread the chain up thru every other link and keep it pulled tight, up next to the links so it is not very noticeable and try not to let the wire get twisted(makes it more visible). Then spray paint it after threading the wire to really help it blend in with the chain.
    When I mentioned breaking it, I was thinking if it got knocked off and one of the small welds snapped when it hit the floor. But then I did weld the links on each side and the floor IS carpeted. So to break it, I would probably have to prop it up and stomp the crap out of it with my steel toed Red Wings to come anywhere close.

Default thanks

i showed a picture of this lamp to my teacher he was very impressed with it andsaid that would be freaking cool