Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Syncrowave 300 won't work on continuous only start

I believe when welding alum the machine must be set on continuous not start?
    When I switch it over to continuous welder the makes a different sound and does not weld. Any ideas what might be the problem?
    Last edited by scranm; 02-28-2012 at 05:57 AM.

You don't have to have continuous HF for aluminum but if you wanted a tighter bead make sure you have your HF intensity turned up.

Dip,

Kinda hard to make two untrue statements in one post, but you did pull it off.

On the Syncrowaves (transformer based machines), you DO have to have continuous HF to weld aluminum in AC. Without the HF on the arc would stumble or extinguish as it goes thru the 0 state.

Adjusting the HF has NOTHING to do with a tighter arc. Increasing the HF intensity will help with arc starts, but setting the HF intensity too high can cause problems with adjacent electronic equipment.

Might want to do a little more homework before putting out bad info.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Dip,

On the Syncrowaves (transformer based machines), you DO have to have continuous HF to weld aluminum in AC. Without the HF on the arc would stumble or extinguish as it goes thru the 0 state.

Adjusting the HF has NOTHING to do with a tighter arc. Increasing the HF intensity will help with arc starts, but setting the HF intensity too high can cause problems with adjacent electronic equipment.

LOL

Here for your enjoyment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqCCp...eature=related

Dip

your starting to look foolish lol

you should read the tig handbook it explains what sundown is trying teach you.
    I have a home depot welding book that ,like you has it wrong.
    Harris welding torch
    Harris Cutting torch propane
    Syncrowave 200
    Mastercraft 4.5 grinder
    20 ton press
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Machine
    Miller Digital Elite (Luckys Speed Shop)
    3/4" Welding Table

Quote Originally Posted by scranm View Post
    I believe when welding alum the machine must be set on continuous not start?
    When I switch it over to continuous welder the makes a different sound and does not weld. Any ideas what might be the problem?

When you put it on continuous HF have you tried adjusting the frequency intensity ?

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Dip,

100 percent on the money

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    When you put it on continuous HF have you tried adjusting the frequency intensity ?
    No,but I'll try tomorrow.
    Last edited by scranm; 02-29-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Go2 is not talking about the balance control. He's talking about the High Frequency intensity control. As well as I remember about the 300 (as well as earlier versions of the Sync 250) there is a separate control, in the area of the points where you adjust the "intensity" of the HF.

Sounds like someone could benefit from a thorough reading of the owners manual for this machine.

Oh, and Dip, it's one thing to screw up. It's another whole issue to argue about it when you're flat out wrong. For all I know, you're getting your "internet gospel" from someone who's just as misinformed about tig welding as you are. That's why it's probably better to get your information from "established sources" like Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, etc than it is to "I saw it on U-Tube".
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Red face

[QUOTE=SundownIII;281633]Go2 is not talking about the balance control. He's talking about the High Frequency intensity control. As well as I remember about the 300 (as well as earlier versions of the Sync 250) there is a separate control, in the area of the points where you adjust the "intensity" of the HF.

Sounds like someone could benefit from a thorough reading of the owners manual for this machine.

I believe when the lights dim in my shop because I switch continuous there is than more operator error to consider.